Virus question

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with those PC AIM viruses...

Such as...
bestfriends.src?...

If you click on the link it screws your AIM up, and then sends it to everyone on your buddy list,
Yadda yadda in the end it can record your passwords, keystrokes, and all that crap

My question is... can and of those PC AIM viruses infect the MAC version of AIM / an OS X system? When you click on the link, its suppsoed to infect the thing immediately, and then it will bring up another page immediately after that, however when I clicked on the link, it opened a page in Safari with a bunch of script, and weird lettering, etc..

Sorry about the long post, thanks for the imput

N

nbn22385

my friend had one the other day. i noticed that it had an .exe extension and could not be opened by me even if i wanted.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nice Prelude in your sig- But I'm talking about the virus that would infect your AIM directly by clicking on a link

Reaction score
Yeah. Even if you do just click a link, a file is still opened and ofcourse is .exe and macs don't read those. I wouldnt worrry there are barely and viruses for macs.

D

Desolate One

Should there be a sticky regarding the topic of viruses? We seem to get a post a day on the topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Desolate One said:
Should there be a sticky regarding the topic of viruses? We seem to get a post a day on the topic.

That may not be a bad idea. Or, you could just let me answer each and every one of them. Despite my n00b status, this is one question I know the answer to and it would increase my post count. ;)

-Chris

OP
M
Reaction score
So you guys are SURE that those AIM viruses / trojans can NOT affect my computer?
EVEN IF one clicked on the link that is supposed to infect the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
Desolate One said:
bassplayrr, you want to take this?

Dang! I so dropped the ball on that one! I'll get 'um next time. :)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
MUMacUser said:
So you guys are SURE that those AIM viruses / trojans can NOT affect my computer?
EVEN IF one clicked on the link that is supposed to infect the system?
Ok: The virus is written to exploit a security hole in the windows version of whatever IM app you're using.

The mac version are a completely separate deal: Different program, different OS, different EVERYTHING!

So even if you click on a link, it can't do anything as OS X won't even recognise it as a program, let alone run it...

Imagine it this way: The virus is a key, the security hole is the keyhole.

The windows virus is written specifically to fit into that keyhole.
In this analogy, the virus is the key, windows is the keyhole and OS X is a table. Simply not compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.