Format external hd HFS+ using a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 768m 60g
Is there a way to format an external hard drive in HFS+ using a PC?

I have a G4 iBook with a dead hard drive (wont spin), and have herd that if you stick the hard drive in the freezer for a couple of hours you may get the drive to spin again. If I can get it to spin, then I would like to salvage as much data as I can to an external hard drive. The problem is all I have that works at the moment is a PC. Can I format the external hard drive to the proper mac os, using a PC?

Another thing I am not sure of, is even if I can get the external formatted, how can I get the data from the old drive to the external while using a PC for the transfer? I can get a copy of ghost, but I dont know much about ghost and if it will do HFS+

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 768m 60g
Is it true that I can have apple rebuild my g4 1.33 ibook for $300.00?

If so, can I just put a different bad hard drive in it, and send it in to be rebuilt? That way I can keep my original drive..??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.