PDA

View Full Version : Having and N network alongside a G network.

Wheeljack
12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok guys, here's the deal.

At home I have my MacBook Pro, my dad's MacBook Pro, an Airport Extreme base station, an Airport Express, an Apple TV, two iPhones, and two PCs.

Of course, every Apple product (except the iPhones) are N capable. One of the PCs is connected to the Airport Extreme via Gigabit and the other one using 802.11g.

I'd really like to have an exclusive 5GHz N only wireless network for my macs and the Apple TV, as I'm using an Airport Disk as a media drive to stream movies to the Apple TV. Since there are G devices (iPhones and one PC), I have to set it to "2.4GHz g compatible" mode, which is not exactly the best setup. I have a transmit rate of about 130 using this mode, and between 230-270 using an "N only" network, better throughput to the Airport Disk (7-8MBps writes vs. 4-6MBps) and better range.

Of course, the downside is that using this method, one of the PCs and both iPhones are out of the network.

I have a couple of old Linksys routers laying around (a WRT54G and a WRV200) and I was wondering if it was possible to set them as access points for all the G devices. I was thinking about setting it in bridge mode, connect it to the Airport Extreme via ethernet and create a separate wireless network.

Would something like this work?

celica73
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I have a couple of old Linksys routers laying around (a WRT54G and a WRV200) and I was wondering if it was possible to set them as access points for all the G devices. I was thinking about setting it in bridge mode, connect it to the Airport Extreme via ethernet and create a separate wireless network.

Would something like this work?

I'm planning the same thing, and afaik, it will work fine. I plan to just hook up the G router via ethernet (also a WRT54G in my case) and configure it in bridge mode.

I'll be interested to hear other replies. My biggest annoyance with the setup is the extra power usage (might as well be green when I can).

Scott

bobtomay
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
I use a D-Link connected to my cable modem and have a g network set up on it for my PC's and PS3.

Hardwired to the D-Link, but on the other side of the house is a Time Capsule running a N network for my Mac's.