Networking woes.... please help me figure out how to troubleshoot!

Reaction score
I had a functioning network 2 weeks ago, and then something went wonky and I can't figure out what! I have an iMac, 2 MacBook Pros, 1 IBM laptop and 1 Dell desktop (running XP) .... and an airport extreme with an Epson printer attached. As I said, it ran beautifully until 2 weeks ago.

Now, when I power on my PC, my entire network goes dead from the modem out. The light goes off on the modem and nothing -- not rebooting the modem or the extreme or running the Airport Utility -- will get it back on. If I power off the PC, it will sometimes come back, and sometimes I have to shut it all down and restore the Airport to factory settings and start again.

Now you can tell I'm a newbie. I learn when things break. But in this case, I don't know enough about anything to figure out where to start. could it be corrupt drivers in the PC, since no settings were changed anywhere when the problems started? Or....???

where to start?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.