Help me decide on a new Monitor?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Okay well I need a new TV for one thing. Old one isn't cutting it anymore after the digital TV thing kicks in Feb.

I also kind of need a monitor while I'm at it, so I decided that I might go with either of these two.

Large Format LCD 46" Screen
LCD 26" Screen

I guess they are more or less the same thing but I can't really decide. I would imagine having a really hard time staring at 46" screen up close, however I'm not really going to be using it to work off of...well not up close.

Only thing that bothers me about the 46" is that it has no speakers, so I would have to invest in some kind of audio setup.

Either that or I get a new aluminum MBP. I already have a 17" MBP and a MB that I use quite often, I might end up selling them to help pay for the monitor or the new MBP.

In any case I need a new printer and if I have any money left over it's going towards my PS3 fund. Not really in a rush to get one because there are hardly any games that are out now that I want to buy.

Okay so to sum up, 1,400 dollar monitor or 2,000 dollar MBP?

If I get the monitor I'm getting the printer which is around 500 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The pixels are spaced out more on large LCD TVs, so they're not really suited to be full-time monitor replacements.

Where do you watch TV? Is it a big living room? Is it mainly you watching?

My girlfriend and I watch TV and movies on my 20" screen which I can swivel to be facing the couch. It's fine for just the two of us, but if you regularly watch with a few more people, you might want to go with the largest option.

If you already have two fairly decent MacBooks I don't really see the point of getting the new model just yet.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm going to be mounting this monitor on the wall most likely, and have it setup so that I can be on my bed. I already have a 22" Monitor that I use for work. It's just me and my girlfriend, and maybe some of my friends who come over unannounced and trash my room when I'm not there.

Thanks for the tip on the pixels. I didn't really think of that. Although I probably would be at least 10 feet away from the monitor and I'm only setting it up to use with the computer if I'm playing a computer game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'm going to be mounting this monitor on the wall most likely, and have it setup so that I can be on my bed. I already have a 22" Monitor that I use for work. It's just me and my girlfriend, and maybe some of my friends who come over unannounced and trash my room when I'm not there.

Thanks for the tip on the pixels. I didn't really think of that. Although I probably would be at least 10 feet away from the monitor and I'm only setting it up to use with the computer if I'm playing a computer game.
Well then you should be fine.

The only time you'll want to watch out is if you plan on using that kind of screen as a real monitor replacement. But for movies, games and 10ft interfaces (Front row, boxee etc) it should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.