• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Suggestions: name the next processor

B

Badger

Now that Pontiac is selling a G6 and the G7 is taken what will Apple call its next generation of computers?
How about the G-nius or the G-hosiphat? Maybe the G-mini Cricket. What do you suggest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
With the price Macs can go for fully loaded maybe they should just rearrange G6 to name them the 6Gs. This would denote both their generation and the number of USD required to purchase one. :)

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think theyll stick with g6, one would have to be an idiot to confuse the car and the processor, or they could always call it the g-windows sure sucks processor.

Reaction score
Yeah. Not many people would ge confused with a comptuer and a car. If you see an ad or a commercial, it will not just say G6. It would say powermac G6, Pontiac G6. They have G3, G4, and G5. Why break the chain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
My guess is the G will change when they develop a different model/arch to base their processors off of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, G4 PowerMac, PowerMac 8600
Well, if Apple does not want to use G6 or 7 because it causes confusion with Pontiac, they might move up the alphebet.

Can't use H1 or H2 ( Hummer)

How bout "I" goes with all the other "iPod, iMac, iMini" :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you know as silly as it sounds, they could actually go with I, for the internet version, or they could go with with a wireless optimized version... pentium did something similar

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Macman said:
I think theyll stick with g6, one would have to be an idiot to confuse the car and the processor.

When i first saw the car commercial that said "Introducing the first ever G6" in letters, but didnt show anything, i thought it was a new Mac processor, then after, that commercial annoyed me for months until they took it off TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
As a few others said, I don't think there will be much confusion

OP
I

IcedOutQMutha

You'd think people wouldn't confuse it, but there's a lot of uneducated people out there, so I think apple will name it something different. Maybe it WILL have the I since IBM made it, or possibly something with blue since that's IBM's primary color.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Speaking of G5. Gee, wonder what this is! :cool:

sdb050130.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IcedOutQMutha said:
You'd think people wouldn't confuse it, but there's a lot of uneducated people out there, so I think apple will name it something different. Maybe it WILL have the I since IBM made it, or possibly something with blue since that's IBM's primary color.

IBM has made plenty of apples processors, Motorola only made a few G3s and the G4... perhaps a few of the earlier ones also..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
G = Generation .. as in changes in architectures.

G1 = early apples
G2 = powerPC
G3 = Motorola and later IBM
G4 = Motorola
G5 = IBM
G6 = dual-core PPC975?

Reaction score
Perhaps with Apples new trend in making computers for all money ranges they can give the new processor a name according to which range mac it goes into.
So for instance the low range macmini's will get a P6 processor. The 'P' standing for 'peasant' and for the mid range stuff they could add an 'R', so 'RP6' 'rich peasant 6' and then for the high end stuff they could just give that the 'R' for 'rich'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:what: ... uh huh...

anyways...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.