Port Forwarding??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
Hey guys,

Been trying to figure out how to port forward for a LONG time to increase dl speed of transmission. highest dl speed i can get is 20 - 30 k... yikes. I download files with lots of seeds, I make sure of that, but it's always the same. I can't figure out how to port forward... and do all the other tricks it takes to make transmission download faster. Can anyone help me out? Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how you think port forwarding is going to make any difference to download speeds. Maybe you're not understanding what it does?

Your download speed is a factor of your connection to your ISP. Port forwarding isn't going to make any difference there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not sure how you think port forwarding is going to make any difference to download speeds. Maybe you're not understanding what it does?

Your download speed is a factor of your connection to your ISP. Port forwarding isn't going to make any difference there.

Incorrect.

Bittorrent is a give and take system. If you're not uploading, your downloads are severely restricted. Port forwarding is usually set up on your router, not the computer itself. The default port for Transmission is 51413 UDP and TCP. You'll need to access your router's configuration web page and find the section for setting Port Forwarding. Then use that port number for both TCP and UDP protocols. That should do the trick.

Also, on your MacBook Pro, go into System Preferences => Security => Firewall tab => Click on "Set access for specific services and applications. This should allow you to specific Transmission as being able to "allow incoming connections". Once that's done, you should see your speeds increase. Don't expect it to be immediate though - you have to get a chunk of the file to share before the speeds start to ramp up.

OP
chrisdistaulo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video
Thanks a lot, that worked well. What is the whole deal all that 'static IP' jazz?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.