Windows OME. Won't read a software CD in Drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OS-X 10.5.5, 2GHz, 4Gb, 1067 MHz DDR3, 160Gb
Hi there fellow Mac users :)

I have recently put Windows OME on my MacBook using VMWare Fusion.

I have a software program that I need to install that is only Windows compatible. When I insert it in the drive.... NOTHING happens! I can hear the disc spinning, but nothing appears on the screen. (does not autoplay)

I have inserted the same disc on another PC and it's fine.

However, when I go into 'My Computer" (on my virtual PC on my MacBook) I can see that it has recognized the CD as the name of the software appears on the CD Drive icon.

I am at my wits end. I changed to Mac to rid myself of this kind of thing. But it still haunts me.

Can anyone help?
P.S... Please explain it to me like I am a five year old. I have limited knowledge of the workings of a computer.

Thanks in advance
BigBoy :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are settings in Windows that will prevent auto play. What happens when you open My Computer and double-click on the disc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If autoplay is turned off for some reason in your VM, you can still install the program. Just select the CD in "My Computer" and open it by double clicking. Once open, look for the installer program. Should be something like:

install.exe setup.exe name of program setup.exe or similar. Double click the executable and the installer should start.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there. Thanks for your help.

I forgot to mention that I had already tried that and it will not open from there either.

So... I put a different windows compatible software CD into the drive and it auto played. What the?

I asked the company who supplied the CD to send out another[incase it was the disc]. Still the same issue.

Why do you think it goes into auto play for one disc and not the other?

Cheers
BigBoy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. What is the name of the program you're trying to install? It sounds like it's either not compatible or something's missing that it needs. If you double clicked the executable and it still won't run, it may be looking for something that's not there. Although I would think it should give some kind of error.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag

The program is called "ShareChart"
It is a program used for technical analysis for Share Trading.

I went and bought a MacBook as a reliable computer to use rather than VISTA [which I previously had] specifically for this, however after doing the course, they informed me I needed windows, as the program is only windows compatible and not MAc friendly. Aarrggg!

One step forward, another back!

I took it to a friends place last night to test it on his VMWare Fusion, and it worked fine on his. He has the version 1.0 and I have updated to the latest [I'm sure that would not make any difference though]

He was able to go through the set up stage [it auto played on his MacPro]
Weird as.....

Something has to be missing from the Windows XP????

Cheers
BigBoy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, now I don't know what's going on? :( If it worked on a friend's Mac Pro running Fusion 1.0 and auto played, there should be no reason it won't run on your machine. Unless it doesn't like the latest version of Fusion. I'm assuming you're running Fusion 2.0? And you have all the latest and greatest guest tools installed?

I went to the "ShareChart" web site and tried to get as much info about the program as I could. Not much there, I'm afraid. The only thing that caught my eye was the two additional files needed to run ShareChart in Vista. Since you're running XP that doesn't apply.

Couple of wild suggestions.... O:)

1. Re-install Fusion 2.0.

2. Uninstall Fusion 2.0 and re-install Fusion 1.X.

In either case you will not lose the XP VM you created. Although I don't know if a VM from Fusion version 2.0 is compatible with a previous version of Fusion.

Lot of work. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think it is a Windows OME issue. I'll take it back to the shop and get them to uninstall and reinstall. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all your help!
BigBoy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like a good plan. :D Let us know how it went.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.