New Mac Convert Needs Help Changing my Wireless Network at Home

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I'm a recent Mac convert and networking stuff confuses me. We have a 24" imac 3.06ghz machine. Our internet provider is AT&T DSL and we use their provided 2-wire Home Portal 1000sw combo modem/wireless router. I have the imac connected to the portal using an ethernet cable.

I purchased an airport express (AE) in the hopes of connecting a printer remotely and streaming audio to my stereo. I couldn't get the computer to find the AE remotely so I connected the AE directly to the imac via an ethernet cable. I was able to configure the AE this way and eventually connect/stream to it wirelessly. In the process of doing this I disconnected the internet.

I was able to reconnect to the internet by reconfiguring the Home Portal unit (after much stumbling and swearing). I have an internet connection now but now wireless connection is gone (i have no idea how that happened) and the imac is back to not recognizing the AE. I've read on some sites that the Home Portal will not work with the AE. Has anyone had any luck getting a Home Portal and AE to work properly together and if so how do you do it?

If all else fails, my next plan was to buy a DSL modem (no combo modem/router) and an airport extreme and connect the two. I'm assuming this configuration should work because that is what is drawn in the AE instructions but before I spend the $ I was hoping for some feedback from someone who knows about this stuff.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the exact model of that 2Wire Home Portal? I have worked with them a lot and can probably help you get the WiFi back.

If you have the 2-Wire I think you do, you would be better off getting a DSL modem and Airport Extreme. A lot of people have had issues with at least the 2-Wire Portal that I have here at the house. It tends to be unstable when doing a lot on the net.

Give me that model number and I will see what I can find for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.