• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble conv .avi to .mov w/ Divx Dr. II

S

slates89

I have trouble converting .avi movies from my fav irc sites. Yes I have both codecs for MAC . Drag n' drop em into the window they start . Doctor starts, decompress starts and runs. Then iget get message waiting to QT flatten, then she quits on me. I am way back deted in OS 10.1.5 , have g4 imac, with 512 mem and plenty of hard drive space. The process works for most files just these few movies from an irc channel.
Any ideas ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Hrm..I'm not sure about the specifics, but as with all applications, if it starts acting up like those Unexpectedly Quits, normally you'd try to trash the prefs.

This can be done by searching for the applications name, and deleting the file in the parent Preferences, with an extension of .plist.

for Example, the preferences for iMovie are located in:

Home Folder>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iMovie3.plist

There ya go!

OP
S

slates89

The application does NOT end unexpectedly, the process of compressing and flattening to the .mov file does not happen. Just seems to be happening w/ movies in .avi format I download from some irc sites. Works fine with other .avi files that I push through DivX Dr.

Reaction score
There are all kinds of codecs..some of which are not available for mac. You probably came across one of the new ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you may have some codecs, but there are 3 in my plug ins folder. apps like divs dr. and toast work through qt, if you have the right plugin for qt, they can work fine. I have LOTS of codecs and so far, the only thing that wont play in qt for me is wmv, which is impossible and useless as a format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1 Ghz G4, 80 Gigs, 256 Ram
I have a simular problem, when I convert an avi to mov, I get a mov file that works minus the video. Audio is fine. Any suggestions? I have the three codecs that Macman suggested to get in a different post ( thanks, Macman).

OP
S

slates89

The DiVX site says to d/l and install codec from their site thats the one's I referred to.

Think I'll just install from my wife's OS X 10.3 and get away from the problem.

Have a hunch the problem is with the older OS 10.1.5, making backups of the files, folders and dmg's, then its a clean install w/o OS 9 etc. Will let ya know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ddietr99 said:
I have a simular problem, when I convert an avi to mov, I get a mov file that works minus the video. Audio is fine. Any suggestions? I have the three codecs that Macman suggested to get in a different post ( thanks, Macman).
I used to have this problem. I had 4 codecs instead of 3, I noticed 2 were the same name, jst different versions of the same codec, once I deleted the older version, it was all fine. you might also try reblessing the plugins folder with those codecs. move them out of the folder, restart, put them back. also try taking them out when youre about to convert an avi, youll get an error saying you dont have a certain codec, just click ok and then after its done converting, put them back where they belong.

OP
F

fletch665

WMF to Final Cut Pro?

This is another subject but I thought you might know about this. How can I get Windows Media Player movies into a format that Final Cut Pro can use?

All the best,

Fletch
ps I'm on a Mac OS 10.28. FCP 3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.