PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this....Apple Router and Another non apple ?

Dooby
11-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Well my landlords internet connection is really really weak when Im in the backhouse- where I live. I tried buying an apple airport but they failed to mention to me that the router had to be an apple one- so i just wasted 100 bucks there...so I was wondering can I just buy an apple router and hook it into my landlords router and then setup my apple airport so the back house is fully wireless and actually has a good signal ? Or is there another less or more obvious why I can fix this problem ?>

Camelot@mac.com
11-28-2008, 03:04 AM
> I tried buying an apple airport but they failed to mention to me that the router had to be an apple one

Ok, this makes no sense. You bought an Apple AirPort, and someone told you it had to be an Apple one? Where's the problem? Who told you this, anyway?

As for the rest of it, it's impossible to tell without more information such as the existing network setup. It's unlikely that just adding another base station is going to make any difference but it might depending on the current setup and what the real issue is.

Dooby
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
> I tried buying an apple airport but they failed to mention to me that the router had to be an apple one

Ok, this makes no sense. You bought an Apple AirPort, and someone told you it had to be an Apple one? Where's the problem? Who told you this, anyway?

Sorry lemme clear it up....the apple aiport wouldnt work on my landlords router- Apple forgot to tell me the router had to be an apple router for the airport network extender to work.

celica73
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Sorry lemme clear it up....the apple aiport wouldnt work on my landlords router- Apple forgot to tell me the router had to be an apple router for the airport network extender to work.

Clarify further?

Did you buy an Apple Airport Express?

And, yes, the Airport Express is expecting an Airport Extreme on the other end. It doesn't have to be the case, but other configurations are not supported by Apple. To make it work, you would also need to have access to the landlords router (and it probably needs to be a specific model - one that supports WDS).

Unless you really wanted the Airtunes option that the Express has, then you best bet is to return it and get a different router (one that supports bridge mode and WDS).

Here is a really old tutorial for making it work...

How to setup WDS between a wireless router and an AirPort Express - Download Squad (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/12/14/how-to-setup-wds-between-a-wireless-router-and-an-airport-expres/)

Scott

Dooby
12-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Clarify further?

Did you buy an Apple Airport Express?

And, yes, the Airport Express is expecting an Airport Extreme on the other end. It doesn't have to be the case, but other configurations are not supported by Apple. To make it work, you would also need to have access to the landlords router (and it probably needs to be a specific model - one that supports WDS).

Unless you really wanted the Airtunes option that the Express has, then you best bet is to return it and get a different router (one that supports bridge mode and WDS).

Here is a really old tutorial for making it work...

How to setup WDS between a wireless router and an AirPort Express - Download Squad (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/12/14/how-to-setup-wds-between-a-wireless-router-and-an-airport-expres/)

Scott

Cool Thanks Scott
As you can see Im not too well smart along the lines of networking especially with a MAC.
I already returned it the Express- any routers or extenders you recommend ?