New Mac user needing suggestions on bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post and my first mac. I purchased a new MacBook Pro. I am a photographer and I mostly use photoshop, however there is on program that I run that helps me design wedding albums. It is called Fotofusion and it is PC only. I need suggestions on bootcamp, parallels and VM Fusion. I really don't plan on doing much with windows, just the fotofusion and possibly another program or two. Is bootcamp good enough? Or is it really worth it to spend for the others? Also, I have both windows XP and Vista 64bit business. Which would be the best to install on the mac for these programs?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Now that I've read both posts, I think since you are only using one program, you might do better with Fusion or Parallels. While they cost money, they have the added advantage of running the windows programs alongside OSX and so you don't have to reboot, plus you can copy/paste, drag and drop things, etc. between the windows. Pretty slick.

Both Parallels and Fusion offer free trial versions - why dont you download the trial version, create a VM with XP (just because it's simpler), and try your software? If you like how it works, you can go from there. If not, you can delete/uninstall and try again with Boot Camp.

But generally, Boot Camp is valuable if (for some reason) you need to run Windows natively (e.g., take advantage of a graphics card). If you have MacBook (which uses integrated graphics anyway) there isn't much of an advantage. If your software is bleeding edge on the graphics side you may need boot camp if your Mac otherwise has the hardware to support it (you didn't post your Mac's specs).

Cheers and good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.