iPhone email setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Hi guys,

So i got an iPhone earlier today... very excited! I'm just wondering, when I set up my email accounts, will new emails be downloaded to my iPhone and my mac? Also, if i reply from the iPhone, will this show up in my sent folder on my mac too?

Thanks guys,

Luke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
This depends on your email account. Are you referring to an IMAP or POP email account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
IMAP will keep things synced, POP will not.

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This depends on your email account. Are you referring to an IMAP or POP email account?

ohh i see. one is a gmail account (pop), the other is a school email address also pop.

is there a way to stop it from downloading every single email on my pop accounts? i have 2,500 googlemail emails to go through so they no longer come up as unread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You can set the gmail account up as an IMAP account. This is what I do and it keeps them synced. Plus, in the settings you can tell it how many of the old messages you want displayed on your iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yep, I would set the Gmail as IMAP. IMAP accounts are much better suited for managing email from multiple computers/devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White iPod 20 gig color 4th gen, Black 8 gig iPhone 3G, New Macbook Pro 15"
How do you set up Gmail as an IMAP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
After signing into your account, you need to click the Settings link at the top of the page. It is here:

gmail settings.jpg

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I would set the Gmail as IMAP. IMAP accounts are much better suited for managing email from multiple computers/devices.

ok, so i've set up gmail on my iphone as imap, and on my mac.. but its all horribly confusing, there are all these [Google Mail] > All mail etc folders that i dont understand. to be honest i dont understand what is happening to my email (where its going etc) when i do something. I'd be very grateful for an idiots guide to setting this up on my iphone and my mac from scratch so that it just all runs smoothly. hours of googling seem to have got me nowhere and probably into a bigger mess than before :s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
ok, so i've set up gmail on my iphone as imap, and on my mac.. but its all horribly confusing, there are all these [Google Mail] > All mail etc folders that i dont understand. to be honest i dont understand what is happening to my email (where its going etc) when i do something. I'd be very grateful for an idiots guide to setting this up on my iphone and my mac from scratch so that it just all runs smoothly. hours of googling seem to have got me nowhere and probably into a bigger mess than before :s
How-to: Proper Gmail IMAP for iPhone & Apple Mail - Derek Punsalan - 5ThirtyOne

OP
lukenn77
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.