Boot Camp isn't detecting my graphics card

Reaction score
Ok, so I thought I'd just finished setting up my new MacBook Pro and had finished migrating everything from my old laptop, including my Windows Boot Camp partition, but to my irritation it would seem I was wrong. I've checked both System Information and Device Manager and neither one can identify my graphics card/s. Not even nVidia's driver installer can identify it. I'm running XP on a late 2008 model MacBook Pro. Anyone know how I can get Windows to notice my 9600M GT graphics card?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What did you use to migrate the Boot Camp partition?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would completely remove the Boot Camp drivers. Then, manually remove any entry for the video card in Device Manager. Then, reinstall the drivers and see what happens.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well that's just the problem, there ISN'T an entry in device manager. As far as Windows is concerned, I have no video card.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bizarre. Not sure what to tell you on that one. Might not be a bad idea to just do a clean Windows install. It wouldn't be the first time that I've seen a Windows install act weird when ported from one hardware platform to another.

Reaction score
Same issue here

Hey,

unfortunatly I have the same issues here as Sky Bolt. After I installed Windows and the BootCamp drivers everything worked fine (at this time my videocard was detected). Later I changed the video output settings, deactivating the MacBook Pro's Display, to only use my external monitor. I'm not sure if this was the I broke the system but after the next reboot my video card wasn't available anymore.

To make things more compicated, I had booted the system in VMware after I changed the settings I mentioned above.

What did you excactly do SkyBolt?

Regards
Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sky, the reason why it won't recognize your new hardware is because your Windows installation thinks that it's still running on your old hardware. What you need to do is perform a repair installation. Boot from your Windows disc, select your Windows partition, and do a repair install. You should then be able to install the necessary drivers.

Reaction score
I fear this will not solve the problem as it appeared for me with a clean win installation.

Regards

Reaction score
Im pretty sure Ive got a similar problem at the moment.... trying to play a pc game on my windows partition however i keep getting an error message telling me there is no openGL i.e. Im sure it thinks I havnt got a graphics card

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.