Router

B

brewcityjay

I just bought a Linksys router to split my cable connection between my mac and my son's PC, but it is very slow. Is there any settings or adjustments that I can make to speed things up? At this rate, I cant see how anyone could get by using a router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
which computer is the main computer, and hat are the specs of each? there should be settings where you went to set the router up that are for setting range and speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Are the computers set up via ethernet or wireless? If they are connected via ethernet and you have a router with multiple ports, then there wouldn't be a main computer.

There could be a difference if one user is accessing the net heavily (ie. downloading files) I get the same throughput if I'm connected to the router (D-Link) or directly to the modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
If the original poster could post his specs and hardware being used, I'm sure we could figure it out for him/her. I have a router running a ton of things and don't see any slow down when one of them is accessing the net heavily.

I have 1 PC & 1 Linux box ethernet wired, 2 PCs wireless, 1 iMac wireless, 1 PowerBook wireless, 1 B&W iMac (266 Mhz) wired, Xbox wireless, (2) PS2's wireless, a PocketPC I use wireless and a Tivo that connects wirelessly. All this goes through my Linksys WRT54GS router w/ Cable Modem hookup. I do have an Airport Extreme Base Station downstairs that simply acts as a repeater so the signal strength in the whole house is strong.

Like I said, post your specs, hardware and current configuration and we'll help you solve it.

OP
B

brewcityjay

The specs for my machines are: power Mac G4 dual 1.25-1g Ram( this the computer that I have the router hooked up through via ethernet. the other is a 833 mhz pentium 3 dell with 512mb of Ram. the Pc has a PC100 card.

OP
B

brewcityjay

Thanks for the help

Well I figured out the problem...it was a bad cable cord that was responsible for the slow connection. After i swaped it out with a new one, I was back to business as usual. Thanks for all the replies, this forum is GREAT!!! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
rberry88 said:
I have a router running a ton of things and don't see any slow down when one of them is accessing the net heavily.…

You evidentially aren't running a cable connection, or you never download anything of any size.

I'm using insight cable. When my wired (ethernet) system is downloading a file, it degrades (very noticeable) the performance on my wireless connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.