Graphics card - what options are there?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

The graphics card on my G5 is broken and i need a new one.

What i dont know is what to get.

I know it needs to be agp 8x but when i look for cards they all seem to be for pc and i dont know if i need one that is mac specific.

I tried typing in the info from my old graphics card a ATI Rad9600 XT but when i go to the site its says its compatable with PC but doesent say anything about mac.

Does anyone know what options i have to look for - the card doesnt need to be top of the range just need one that works.

Thanks

Telmac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Most cards should work in my experience

You are probably better off with an ATI or nVIDIA card because OS X comes with the drivers for these makes

Driver support was a bit of an issue back in OS 9 days but you shouldn't have a problem with modern cards and OS X

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most cards should work in my experience

You are probably better off with an ATI or nVIDIA card because OS X comes with the drivers for these makes

Driver support was a bit of an issue back in OS 9 days but you shouldn't have a problem with modern cards and OS X

I'd have to take issue with that statement. It should be OK if it was one of the chipsets that was sold with a new Mac (for example, the NVIDIA 8600/8800 series), but some of the chipsets might not have drivers - particularly PPC drivers, since this is a G5 we're talking about. Your best bet in my opinion would be to get a Mac-specific card, which will come with the requisite drivers. And example can be found here:

ATI Technologies RADEON 9200 128MB MacEditi... (100-436014) at OWC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mac card for sure and for something a little more grander to be compatible with Core Image and Quartz Extreme look at the ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro with 256MB RAM, a cool card requiring no fan unit and eliminating some of those G5 (and MDD) heating problems. Here is OWC's link:-

ATI RADEON 9600 PRO AGP 4X/8X 256MB Dual DVI... (100435065) at OWC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.