Bootcamp XP External Monitor Question

Reaction score
I have determined that my best bet for an external monitor that works for xp and is 16:10, is a 24" with 1920x1200.

I know the Leopard side will do it, and I know the windows side SAYS that is supports this resolution (although oddly it does not support the typcial resolutions for 19" and 22" screens at 16:10). I have not been able to get 19" or 22" monitors to display correctly on the xp side, so I am now looking at 24".

I use AutoCAD for a living so this means windows for work. I LOVE my 13" macbook for all the obvious reasons, including the lightweight package for travel (work related and vacations), and for all home uses. It suits me and the wife just fine. But for large CAD jobs, it isn't enough screen, plain and simple. I can't afford a desktop mac or MBP right now, so I need to look at monitor options. I have found 24" 1920x1200 monitors that ship for under $300 on the internet, so obviously I am curious.

QUESTION:
Has anyone here actually used a 1920x1200 external monitor with bootcamp xp, and got it to work in clamshell mode?
Also, how is leopard (or even tiger) performance on the mac side with this high of a resolution?

At 42, my vision is weakening, and 13" displays and AutoCAD just don't mix for me these days. It really makes me tired quickly.

Sincere thanks for any input on this issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I can help much, but this is what I've found using an external monitor with my 13" MacBook and running XP from a Boot Camp partition.

You didn't say which MacBook you have but mine uses an Intel GMA X3100 GPU which fills my Samsung 22" to its native resolution (1680 x 1050).

However, I had to download an updated XP driver for the GPU from the Intel website before it worked properly. The Leopard provided driver was inadequate.

You're asking about running a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200. According to specs, the Intel GMA X3100 can display up to 2048 x 1536. If your MacBook has the X3100 chipset, then it should be able to fill the screen on the 24" monitor.

I'm not sure I would order a monitor from the net though. Always a big pain in the you know where to return something like that if it doesn't work out. You might be better off looking around for a sale at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Fry's.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.