Help me start my portrait business!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Well, I am going to start portrait photography now... but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how I should take off? Thanks!

:)

Reaction score
Advertising is what most usually start out doing, but in the end it's usually word of mouth.

Methods of advertising can include going to local stores and asking if you can put some brochures/business cards out.

You'd also need a fairly mature portfolio as well. Some options are to place ad's in Craigslist stating that you're a photographer looking to build up a portfolio and/or is looking for some models to shoot. Maybe even give the model an 8x10 print of his or her best shot to thank them.

Try to make yourself stand out, and try to get involved with businesses and what not, like corporate portraits for example.

Approach potential clients with a friendly idea/service of portrait work.

Just some ideas.

Good luck!

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Advertising is what most usually start out doing, but in the end it's usually word of mouth.

Methods of advertising can include going to local stores and asking if you can put some brochures/business cards out.

You'd also need a fairly mature portfolio as well. Some options are to place ad's in Craigslist stating that you're a photographer looking to build up a portfolio and/or is looking for some models to shoot. Maybe even give the model an 8x10 print of his or her best shot to thank them.

Try to make yourself stand out, and try to get involved with businesses and what not, like corporate portraits for example.

Approach potential clients with a friendly idea/service of portrait work.

Just some ideas.

Good luck!

Well, I'm 13... so would child labor laws apply here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well, I'm 13... so would child labor laws apply here?

You probably need a business license. I don't what hoops you'd have to jump through for that.

Do you have lighting? Transportation? Portfolio? Contracts? Bank account? etc...

Reaction score
I would get a business license, and also get a really good site that ACCURATELY portrays you style/work. If you don't know how to make a site, or don't have the time I would say to buy one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.