Direct X for Os X? Big problem!

Reaction score
Hi.

I have the latest Imac 24", where I have installed parallels, and then installed windows xp in parallels.
I did this so that I cut play tomb raider in xp:) but when i try to launch the game, it coms up with a note, saying:

"This game requires a DirectX9.0c capable graphics card. Your card or driver does not support DirectX9.0c 3D Acceleration."

what can I do about this? I have tried to install direct X 9.0c in xp, and it installes well. But when I then try to launch the game, the note comes up again:Oo

Hope that you can help me:)

Cheers Anders

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Parallels doesn't have full DirectX9 support. Even if it did, the game likely wouldn't run very well because it's not able to directly tap the resources of the GPU. Relatively few games run in virtualization (including VMware's Fusion).

If you need to play games, I'd recommend you install Windows via Boot Camp.

OP
@
Reaction score
Hi, so what you are saying is that the game will never run in parallels? I'm just a bit worried cos i have some programs and stuff from school that also requires direct x =Oo
Can I then only run them with bootcamp?

Anders

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Parallels and Fusion both have some limited support for DirectX. You may need to enable "3D support" in your virtual machine's configuration in order for it to work. Even if it does, note that anything that is 3D intensive will be slow - much slower than it would be using Boot Camp. I'm interested to hear what programs from school you have that need DirectX. In my experience only games use DirectX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.