Upgrading Memory

S

sukhjeet

I'm thinking about buying a new 17" PowerBook w/super drive. I want 1 GB of memory, but Apple's going to charge me more than I'm willing. Can I just buy some generic PC2700 DDR SDRAM from somewhere else and put it in myself? i.e. - tp://www.pricewatch.com/1/33/4560-1.htm (outdated link removed)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can buy your own ram but your better make sure its compatible with your system or you will most likely fry the board. none of the the chips on that page will work with your system
if you want 1GB cheap for yourself i recommend this

tp://www.pricewatch.com/1/79/4013-1.htm (outdated link removed)

OP
O

oo_mac_oo

trpnmonkey41 said:
you can buy your own ram but your better make sure its compatible with your system or you will most likely fry the board. none of the the chips on that page will work with your system
if you want 1GB cheap for yourself i recommend this

tp://www.pricewatch.com/1/79/4013-1.htm (outdated link removed)

HOW ABOUT KINGSTON MEMORY :confused: :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yes kingstons rams will work but be sure to buy it from the apple page for your specific model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
sukhjeet said:
I'm thinking about buying a new 17" PowerBook w/super drive. I want 1 GB of memory, but Apple's going to charge me more than I'm willing. Can I just buy some generic PC2700 DDR SDRAM from somewhere else and put it in myself? i.e. - tp://www.pricewatch.com/1/33/4560-1.htm (outdated link removed)

Thanks

I got mine from MacSolutions.com. They had good prices and good service, and I've had no problems with it at all. When I was shopping for mine, I was concerned about the numerous reports of problems with some memory and the newer Apple Firmware. MacSolutions addressed this on their sit, and stated that all of their memory had been tested and found 100% compatible with the Firmware. I'm sure there are other companies with no compatibility problems too, but it just put me at ease.

OP
B

brody

Emrys said:

just curious...since you did buy ram from there...did you get the generic or the samsung that is appently the same kind shipping with powerbooks?

i'm tempted to spend $50 more for crucial or samsung rather than generic

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.