iMac G3 and printer

Reaction score
I have on of the first editions of the original iMac G3's which had OS9 on it (the tray loading CD one). I previously tried to load OSX on it but it said there wasn't enough RAM so left it. I thought my parents would like to have it to get them off the nasty PC they have only.... the drive decided to die on me but I had a spare one, loaded OS 10.3 on it by putting it in my G4 and then stuffed the drive back into the iMac...and hey presto to my surprise it booted and works fine (a little slow but everything works even with the minimal RAM it has...32meg I think!).

I've now passed this onto my parents (who love it) but now they want to get a printer. Does anyone know if a new printer designed to work with USB 2 will work on an aging iMac G3 with OS 10.3 running on it? I'm assuming the Mac only has USB 1.0 ports.

Reaction score
Your lucky you did not fry the Imac when you tried to upgrade from OS9 to 10
with out updating the firmwear first. Most newer printers will work on USB one,may throw up a dialog box the first time. Its the right drivers for the printer thats the most important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.