Newbie Q. Freeing up HD space on my new PB.

D

drumstk36

Hey guys, I've had my Powerbook with an 80 Gig HD sense Christmas and I am looking to free up some space just due to the fact that this computer has to last me a long time and such.

So I supose my real question is: What apps can I afford to delete and not miss? I know it seems like a stupid question but I really have no clue. Any help would be greatly appericiated. Maybe I'm just being anal-retentive about this but it is really important to me that I take care of this machine and pamper it.

Thanks again guys.

Reaction score
How much free space do you currently have? Typically, applications aren't what use the majority of space. MP3's and digital media take up the most space, and a laptop is not the place to store those files.

OP
F

falltime

Avid6eek said:
How much free space do you currently have? Typically, applications aren't what use the majority of space. MP3's and digital media take up the most space, and a laptop is not the place to store those files.

Yup. Generally a typical user's average consumer application base only really takes up a measly 5% of their entire disk space.

Sounds like its time to get a firewire drive. :headphone

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

yup I agree, a firewire drive is a must around £100 here in the uk will buy you a 160Gb Lacie d2 Extreme, Triple Interface Disk. Very sturdy reliable and fast. They can be daisy chained together as well at a later date.

Interfaces include Firewire 800, 400 and USB 2.0/USB1.1.

I find that this drive stays extremly cool compared to Lacies other designed by F A Porsche models.

OP
D

drumstk36

Well, I have a Western Digital Hard Drive (120 GB). That isn't the problem. of my 80 Gig HD, I only have 59.12 Gig left. I know I shouldn't store my mp3's on the Pb but I like doing that as I move about my house with it and use my Airport Express to stream music. Plus I like being able to burn CD's at band practices (I'm in a band) and such. My mp3's are only taking up about 7 gig right now. That is fine with me because I don't take my portable HD everywhere with me. Not to mention my iPod is being serviced.

Wow...I just read that ^ and I sound like a 6 year old. Don't flame cause I'm a pretty smart guy, I just need to take care of my Mac.

OP
E

Echo_

if you can just burn your songs to dvd so you can still bring them around with you

Reaction score
You have 75% of your 80GB drive empty, and your already worrying about space? Come back when you only have 10GB free ;)

OP
D

drumstk36

Avid6eek said:
You have 75% of your 80GB drive empty, and your already worrying about space? Come back when you only have 10GB free ;)

Yeah, I am. Because it isn't everyday that an 18 year old gets an almost $3000 computer. I could just as easily had an $899 iBook Clearence special at my local Mac dealer. I'm just wondering if only having about 60 gig AFTER adding 7 gigs of MP3's is ok.

EDIT: I have just moved my iPhoto Library to an external HD and it did free up some space. I have a stupid question though:

Can I put my iPhoto Library folder on my iPod? I say this because I always have my iPod with me espically if my PB is in tow. This should work just like having the iPhoto Library folder on the external HDD right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
drumstk36 said:
Yeah, I am. Because it isn't everyday that an 18 year old gets an almost $3000 computer. I could just as easily had an $899 iBook Clearence special at my local Mac dealer. I'm just wondering if only having about 60 gig AFTER adding 7 gigs of MP3's is ok.

EDIT: I have just moved my iPhoto Library to an external HD and it did free up some space. I have a stupid question though:

Can I put my iPhoto Library folder on my iPod? I say this because I always have my iPod with me espically if my PB is in tow. This should work just like having the iPhoto Library folder on the external HDD right?

when i had my ibook i had the same concerns, some of the apps i got rid of were garage band, you may not want to lose that seeing as your in a band, but it does take about 3 gigs if i remember. then there is idvd thats another big one followed by classic support, you should be able to live without this as not many develop for that OS. if you do a clean install you will be able to choose which of these you put on in the first place. if you ever need them you can always use your install cds to restore them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
As far as applications, though, what takes up most of THEIR space, ESPECIALLY in Apple-made programs, is language packs. My Safari is less than 4 MB now, and my iTunes is only 15. I got rid of all the language packs I knew I would never use (all but English and French), and all of my Apple-designed programs, with the exception of iDVD, were reduced to less than half of their original size. If you're really anal retentive about HD space, you may want to try this, too. It'll buy you another 40 mp3s or so. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.