PDF from Quark 6 ???

S

SpikeMHP

I'm currently having problems creating PDF's in Quark 6. For some reason it shows EPS files (created in Illustrator 8) as black. It doesn't do it on all of them, just some and i don't do anythig different when saving. Im using Acrobat 6.01 proffesional and am at a loss. Any ideas anyone?

OP
M

mebad

If you're not doing anthing different, then it may be the eps's creator application. If the eps was made in Illustrator, make sure preview is checked before saving.

OP
R

robbo

Just installed Acrobat Distiller 7 Professional to create PDFs from Quark 6 using OSX 10.2.8 - not having any luck so far, the graphics are appearing ok but any type with colour is coming up BLACK. -- In previous versions we have created a postscript file and distilled from that - no problems. Distiller 7 though does not have an Acrobat Distiller PPD to use as in previous versions. Anyone have any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
if that type with color is using pantone colors, they need to be converted to cmyk or rgb before output to pdf. I personally have grown tired of quark and theyre trying to be like Micro$oft and corner the market and such. I use indesign now, its so cool, you dont even need to distill pdfs out of indesign.

OP
R

robbo

Macman said:
if that type with color is using pantone colors, they need to be converted to cmyk or rgb before output to pdf. I personally have grown tired of quark and theyre trying to be like Micro$oft and corner the market and such. I use indesign now, its so cool, you dont even need to distill pdfs out of indesign.
Yep - you'd think Quark would be offering so much more to match the $$$. We do a lot of pages each day and find the speed of Quark essential. In this case the colours are actually spot PMS colors - we use the advanced settings in Distiller to leave colors unchanged - always worked in previous verions ok.

OP
R

robbo

SpikeMHP said:
I'm currently having problems creating PDF's in Quark 6. For some reason it shows EPS files (created in Illustrator 8) as black. It doesn't do it on all of them, just some and i don't do anythig different when saving. Im using Acrobat 6.01 proffesional and am at a loss. Any ideas anyone?
I have found even using Illustrator 9 files the same sort of problem. But have since installed Illustrator 11 and resaved the older files and they work fine now. Seems like you can't update anything without doing the whole lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, dunno, I havent installed acrobat pro 7 on my mac yet. "speed of quark"? never heard that one. I hate quark cause it only lets you place a few file formjats and such, whereas with indesign, you can drop an .ai, .psd, even a quark file on it and use it. but I think still try converting those spot PMS colors into cmyk or rgb, whatever you need. are you using any transparency in these docs youre trying to pdf? I think you should definitely convert these spot pms colors even if youre not using transparency, Im sure itll fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think illustrator 8 only supported up to like pdf version 4, youre problem may lie in illustrators inability/incompatibility in working with a newer version of acrobat pdfs.
I suggest trying to open these files in a lter version and then resaving as eps's.

OP
R

robbo

Yep, know where you coming from. Tried all that. Thanks for your time. Looks like a bug that needs fixing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.