Just had to do it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I just had to do it. I already own a original iPhone 8GB but I just got the urge to buy the new 3G.

I did that "fast signup" on Apple's website and I'm going to go pick it up today.

When the iPhone first came out I told myself "I don't like that phone I'm never going to get one." Then I went ahead and purchased one. Then the 3G came out and I said "I'm not going to get that. Who needs GPS or 3G speed." Now here I am purchasing it.

Reaction score
I did the exact thing and said the same thing and I am glad I did it. The 3g is worth it just for that. I love it. Still got my first one don't know weather to sell it or give it to my kid with no service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.14ghz || 120GB || IPHONE 3G 8GB JBken 4GB RAM || <3
My old iPhone got stolen, so I went ahead and got myself the Black 3G.

I actually had the same state of mind: What's the point of paying more for only 3G and GPS? I actually regret not getting it sooner. 3G is SO MUCH faster than EDGE, and GPS is SOOOO useful, including for apps such as iLocalis with can track your iphone via website and notify you if its stolen, and you can control it remotely.

So anyways, I'm glad to took the step forward. Some might say there's no point to it, but once you get it, you won't regret it. It just FEELs completely different

Enjoy!
~Joe

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My old iPhone got stolen, so I went ahead and got myself the Black 3G.

I actually had the same state of mind: What's the point of paying more for only 3G and GPS? I actually regret not getting it sooner. 3G is SO MUCH faster than EDGE, and GPS is SOOOO useful, including for apps such as iLocalis with can track your iphone via website and notify you if its stolen, and you can control it remotely.

So anyways, I'm glad to took the step forward. Some might say there's no point to it, but once you get it, you won't regret it. It just FEELs completely different

Enjoy!
~Joe
It feels good to have the 3G. I was actually missing out. My favorite part has to be the screen. It's way better than the original. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to look into the Zagg InvisibleShield. I have it on my phone and it does wonders. Covers the entire phone, including the screen, and is somewhat protectant against fingerprints. <3

Glad you enjoy the 3G!
~Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Do you have to cancel your current iPhone contract and start another one or can you just upgrade your phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have an upgrade available, you can just upgrade the phone, and they will replace your old plan with the new one.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have to cancel your current iPhone contract and start another one or can you just upgrade your phone?

I was eligible for an upgrade. All I had to do was get started at Apple.com and then go into the Apple store to pick it up. My data plan was upgraded to the $30 for the 3G and I had to pay the $18 upgrade fee. That was it.

Tip though is it buy it at the end of the month or else your going to get hit with those pro-rated charges for changing your plan in the middle of the month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you know if you're eligible for upgrade?

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple - iPhone - Buy iPhone 3G

Put in your info and the second screen the pricing should be there. When your done just close the window and it won't change anything to your account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what will I have to pay for? Just the $300 for the phone? What happens to my old contract and phone?

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what will I have to pay for? Just the $300 for the phone? What happens to my old contract and phone?

If you are eligible for an upgrade you will pay the discount price for the phone. $199 for 8Gb and $299 for 16GB.

The current data plan you have for the iPhone gets upgraded to the 3G plan which basic is $30 and your contract gets extended another 2 years. Your old phone is yours to sell or keep as a back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.