Dual-Booting and Virtualization

Reaction score
Im doing a project in school that includes dual booting and i have been trying to find some info on dual booting such as when it began, how popular it is, and any other useful info. I am now looking into virtualization and how it compares with dual-booting. Please tell me which method you use and why as it will help everybody else understand the similarities and differences. I am posting in various forums to get all kinds of input so i have no bias, please vote in the poll too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
dual booting is a pain in the tookus, unless you actually NEED 100% of the system resources virtualization is really much more preferable as you can work in both OS's at the same time, including cut/paste between the two. Far more efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
Love me that VMWare Fusion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Depends what I'm doing... most gaming I'll still dual-boot (although I'll be testing Crossover Games more once I get the new Macbook).

For any "regular" apps, virtualisation works fine.

Reaction score
I initially installed Boot Camp and dual-booted windows for my MacBook, but soon just went with Fusion and now run XP and Ubuntu in VMs. I don't game (not that a macbook would help with that anyhow) so the ability to run windows and linux side-by-side with OSX is very powerful for me. Rebooting is very disruptive if all you need is Windows for limited use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Virtualisation for me - I like to keep Windows safely fettered up :D

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.