External Monitor as Main Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.5.4, 9" Laptop Display, 2lbs, Intel Atom Processor, 120GB HDD
Hello MacFans! I may soon be one of you if you can help me with this requests.
I have an external monitor that I want as the default main display WITHOUT mirroring. I have a Macbook Pro and I want a complete desktop scenario for home. Right now I can drag windows(or whatever you mac people call them) over to my external monitor but i want my dock and top bar and the windows to be over there. Is there any way I can do this?
Thanks in advance! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure: Go to the monitor prefpane and select "Arrangement". Then drag the menu bar from the one little desktop to the other.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.5.4, 9" Laptop Display, 2lbs, Intel Atom Processor, 120GB HDD
Wow sweet thanks man I was dragging the screens around but I didn't think about dragging the bar. Thank you sooo much dude. Okay Mac is cool! (and im sorry about writing all those reports in college bashing Mac) hahaha

Reaction score
I love it

This is what I love about Mac. I was disappointed months ago when I tried this, and I figured there was just no way. I wasn't surprised to learn how easy it was to do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I love running with an tetra screen so much I now have two external monitors attached to my MacBook Pro. You might find this article interesting it describes a few tips for working with dual monitors ATPM 14.12 - How To: Taming the Two-headed Monster: Using Two Monitors With Your Mac.

One thing I don't think it mentions is that with the Displays Preference pane open and Arrangement tab open you can identify which blue rectangle represents which monitor by clicking one of the rectangles. The border of the corresponding monitor suddenly turns red.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.