• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help me win an argument please!!!!! lol

E

evian

Hello everybody, how you all doing? :girl:

I'm new here, but I'm gonna jump straight in with a request for some help. :cool:

I've been using a mac for a couple of years now, and I love it. However, I always get these annoying pc lovers telling me that mac's are cr*p and that pc's are much better. :mad: it makes me so angry. :mad: I'm not an expert on the technical stuff, but I know mac's are better than pc's surely! :(

I was wondering if you guys could help me. lol , next time I get attacked by these stupid pc lovers, what can I say?? why are mac's better, what can a mac do that a pc can't..etc... :teen: :teen: :teen:

please help!!!!!!!!

many thanks in advance. :bone:

OP
A

austin

sorry, im a pc lover, they are better than macs..(message to everyone: please dont hurt me)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
evian said:
Hello everybody, how you all doing? :girl:

I'm new here, but I'm gonna jump straight in with a request for some help. :cool:

I've been using a mac for a couple of years now, and I love it. However, I always get these annoying pc lovers telling me that mac's are cr*p and that pc's are much better. :mad: it makes me so angry. :mad: I'm not an expert on the technical stuff, but I know mac's are better than pc's surely! :(

I was wondering if you guys could help me. lol , next time I get attacked by these stupid pc lovers, what can I say?? why are mac's better, what can a mac do that a pc can't..etc... :teen: :teen: :teen:

please help!!!!!!!!

many thanks in advance. :bone:
I think one of the classic arguments is the Virus one: explain to the PC people that Macs are bout 99% less vulnerable to Viruses, SpyWare, AdWare, Trojan Horses, Worms etc. That'll usually get a rise out of them.
You can also show them things like Exposé and fast user switching which might not make Macs better but does make them cooler!!
Also, show them iLife, if you have it, and watch them drool...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
@austin:
looking up your address now. :radioacti
@pbg4man:
macs are 100% virus free.
also, macs are way faster, for example, my 450mhz g4 cube runs at p4 1.5ghz pc, its because of os x, its stable and smooth and functions much more efficiently allowing iot to go faster. plus theyre easir to use, and dont forget that theyre not cr*aptastic grey boxes, theyre almost pieces of art:mac:

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
And if they bring up any of that "Well, you can't play video games." Tell them, that's what we have PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube for.

Tell them, that you spend 100% of your time computing, and ask them how much time they spend scanning for spyware and viruses.

Ask them, if they like downloading security updates all the time.

Tell them, you want some reasons why they don't like macs. Don't let them stop at "Well, I think their crap." Most likely, these people have never used a mac before, so they really don't have any good reason to hate macs. Try to stump them around that question. They'll usually start making up stuff by then.

OP
M

meltbanana314

1. Macs don't get viruses, trojan horses, or anything of that sort.

2. The NSA has rated OS X to be the most secure computing system ever.

3. The NSA has backdoors installed on Windows :p

4. Macs are built on UNIX, Windows just has a silly port of Cygwin

5. Even though Windows has 10 times the apps OS X has, all the good ones (iLife sans iTunes, etc.) are available on OS X only.

6. Ask a PC user how often they reboot because of kernel panics and memory leaks. Then, explain (lie?) to them that you haven't rebooted in months (but explain to them what putting your Mac "sleep" is.)

7. Internet Explorer is integrated into the OS so tightly, if you try and remove it - the OS will break. That's not computing freedom.

8. Office 2004 on a Mac > Office 2003 on a Wintel box

9. Macs are practically guaranteed to work 5 years after they are bought and sometimes far past that. Dells and Compaqs are so obsolete within a year, they're practically useless.

10. Three words: Steve Ballmer's Monkeydance

11 (Extra Credit): A few years back, a guy got scammed out of his payment when selling his PowerBook on eBay. A bunch of Mac-heads from Chicago volunteered to take a baseball bat to the scammer's head if so desired. Try getting that kind of loyalty from a community of HP users. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
havn't seen a mac vs pc thread in a while... it will probably result in a banning or two.. and this being closed ;) but we shall c :)

[/warning]

My mac can kick your pcs ***.

OP
C

CaptainMack

lol. we used to have alot of these. one person comes to mind, i guess he hasnt seen this thread...

Reaction score
Don't even bother arguing, it is just a difference in opinions. You might as well argue what tastes better, coke or pepsi.(yeah I know I have said that before)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
On a windows PC this happens. On a Mac (or a Linux), it does not End of story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mynameis said:
Don't even bother arguing, it is just a difference in opinions. You might as well argue what tastes better, coke or pepsi.(yeah I know I have said that before)

That's silly. Coke tastes better than Pepsi. But Diet Pepsi tastes much better than Diet Coke.

Actually, I usually drink root beer.

And yes, I think this is a pointless discussion. But entertaining, very, very entertaining.

And, oh yeah, the Windows security architecture sucks. Those viruses and spyware/adware apps aren't just a coincidence. :mac:

Reaction score
Just tell them to watch the 2005 Expo Keynote and they WILL see how macs are far superior that PCs' . (i just watched it and apple has some amazing stuff and tiger is going to rock! )Or if someone says macs suck, you can kick them in the face. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Show them the megahertz myth clip from the apple keynote.... it will show them that the g4 proccessor is so much faster then the p4... let them know that the current g4 speeds on the pb is up to 1.5ghz but the g5 is still way faster, tell them how the g5 2.5ghz will destroy any pentium on the market, and you can get a mac with 2 of them. Show them how the mac osx operating system works, and if they don't think it is better, then atleast they will think it looks better, and yes stick with the classic argument about viures, the macs don't get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you cant compare PCs vs Macs for the same reason you cant compare a Chevy to a Volvo.

while they are both cars and do similar things, one was made to appeal to the masses by:
-being affordable
-get you from A to B
-last long enough to pay it off, then trade it in and get the new one

the other is meant to appeal to people who want:
-something cool and a status symbol
-get you from A to B, then to C and maybe D
-last longer than you, then buy another one and give yours to your children for a first car

Reaction score
meltbanana314 said:
1. Macs don't get viruses, trojan horses, or anything of that sort.

:

Hi, I always been a PC user. The last time I ever even touched a Mac was back in Jr year in High School and that was a G3 (I think) and it was in my Technology class when I renderd graphics. Ever since I left High School back in "95" all I ever used at work is PC.

I have to admit what the quote was above is one of my primary reasons why I went w/ Mac.
I am sooooooooooooo tired of virus, spam and spy ware crap its not even fun. PCs are just more common. If it makes you feel anybetter both MIS/IT guys I work w/ uses PCs for there major and what we work with at work. But they highly recommend getting a Mac so I did. They owen one. Heck ever our CEO and CFO uses Mac for there daily work day, and we all work off of PC base systems/servers. lol

So I feel to me that Mac is going to be fun. But I will still use my PC for the other stuff that Macs don't got the lead in. Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
one thing for an argument such as this is remembering that people are ignorant. they will begin to scream and yell about stuff they do not even know about. most people who encounter my PB say they hate it but it looks pretty. they have a little bit of a difficult time operating the touch pad because i have the option that you can click with it also, but there is a mouse sitting right next to my PB. Everyone who attempts to use my computer and hasnet used a mac since they played oregon trail figures it out in just a few seconds

((except my gf, every time she uses my computer she begins pushing buttons and all the resolutions on my second monitor are all effed and everything on the PB is all screwed up...yet it is all simply fixable by me))

this is becoming to seem very irrelevant, but remember that people are stupid

-chris

OP
M

meltbanana314

I seem to remember a Macrumors thread about "what's the stupidest thing a PC user has ever said/asked you about macs?" or something like that. I'm trying to find it again, because it has just about every stupid comment a Windows user could ever make, and appropriate responses for Mac users to say as well.

But, sadly most of them are:
"Macs suck!"
"Why?"
"Cause they do."
"'Cause why?"
"I don't know, they just do."

EDIT: Found *two* threads on stupid PC users.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=26640&highlight=10/100/1000+internet

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84118&highlight=Macs+suck

OP
M

meltbanana314

shift said:
So I feel to me that Mac is going to be fun. But I will still use my PC for the other stuff that Macs don't got the lead in. Peace

What do Macs not get the lead in? (besides video games?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.