will I notice a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I am looking at getting an airport extreme base station (my mac and 2 pcs in the house with a shared printer and external HDD) and was wondering if I would notice the difference between the fast ethernet (older) version and the newer gigabit version? Are these speed differences only in the 3 ethernet connections or does the speed difference also apply to the wireless capabilities?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
The speed is also applied to the wireless, the draft 802.11n protocol.

You won't notice a difference on the internet, mainly file transfers between computers and large print jobs.

And syncing to AppleTV and TimeCapsule. I've noticed pretty decent speeds when backing up gigabytes at a time to the TC over 802.11n.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Thanks for the info, I ended up going with the gigabit version, got a decent deal on one (in my mind at least...) I do sometimes have large print jobs and plan on doing some file sharing so I think this will be a good choice after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.