From Lenovo to Mac

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I just wanted to ask for all you new macbook users out there, is it smart to switch from my lenovo X61 Tablet to a new Macbook (pro)? I use the tablet everyday for my school work because of its 5 hour battery life and its ability to write on the screen. But I only really use that feature for math, its much faster to type. So i was looking at the new Macbooks and I really like them and was wondering if I should get one. I know that I am on a mac forum but I would like to know some reasons why not to also. Thanks a million.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've often thought about taking math notes using some kind of tablet, but I've never really gotten into it.

Let me put it this way:
The new macbooks won't last a full 5 hours under most realistic conditions and don't have pen input. They do have OS X and will be a fair bit snappier due to the faster processor.

The decision is yours, but it doesn't really seem like an ideal swap if you really rely on the touchscreen input (unless you're willing to deal with dragging a wacom tablet around).

Reaction score
Well, this is minor, but if you are in love with the track point, as I am, you might find the switch to a touch pad difficult. I happen to have an iMac rather than a notebook so that isn't an issue for me, but I have a couple of IBM external keyboards. I have a Motion M1400 tablet, and I bought my first IBM external keyboard to use with it and I loved it so much that I bought a second one to have on hand at work when I had the tablet in the dock.

As a tablet user I can understand how nice it is to write on the screen, but since you only use it for math class you might find that you can get by with paper for that class and scan your notes if you want to have them available later.

But DO ask someone with a mac notebook if you can use it for a little while to see if you can part with your track point.

Terri

OP
J
Reaction score
I've often thought about taking math notes using some kind of tablet, but I've never really gotten into it.

Let me put it this way:
The new macbooks won't last a full 5 hours under most realistic conditions and don't have pen input. They do have OS X and will be a fair bit snappier due to the faster processor.

The decision is yours, but it doesn't really seem like an ideal swap if you really rely on the touchscreen input (unless you're willing to deal with dragging a wacom tablet around).

Yeah but I mean I can just use paper for math and thats why I'm thinking about switching to a mac, because I never really use the tablet mode for anything else. And the most battery life I will ever need in 1 day is 4 hours (and someone I know who has a mac can make it last 4 hours).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Yeah but I mean I can just use paper for math and thats why I'm thinking about switching to a mac, because I never really use the tablet mode for anything else. And the most battery life I will ever need in 1 day is 4 hours (and someone I know who has a mac can make it last 4 hours).

Apparently the new MacBooks have the ability to go 5 hours unplugged using the internet. This is at half brightness.

I doubt that that is 100% realistic, but its got to be close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT

It seems like you are more swayed into making the transition into getting a Mac. Have you used a Mac before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0ghz Core Duo 1 Gig Ram 80Gig HD, iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 1gig RAM 320gig HD
if all you are using the touch screen for is math notes I would say that you will be just fine with the mac. I have classes from 8am to about 1:30pm and have not had problems with my battery on my macbook, but I do have a couple breaks in there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
Well, this is minor, but if you are in love with the track point, as I am, you might find the switch to a touch pad difficult. I happen to have an iMac rather than a notebook so that isn't an issue for me, but I have a couple of IBM external keyboards. I have a Motion M1400 tablet, and I bought my first IBM external keyboard to use with it and I loved it so much that I bought a second one to have on hand at work when I had the tablet in the dock.

As a tablet user I can understand how nice it is to write on the screen, but since you only use it for math class you might find that you can get by with paper for that class and scan your notes if you want to have them available later.

But DO ask someone with a mac notebook if you can use it for a little while to see if you can part with your track point.

Terri

I switched from a Thinkpad T40 to a MBP (early 08). At first, I thought I would miss the trackpoint, however due to the solid response and precision of the trackpad, making the transition was not difficult. Plus, I love the multitouch functions. It makes life much easier. I hope 10.5.6 will include Expose support (4 finger) :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.