VMWare Fusion XP disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I'm considering a switch to a new Mac and would be forced to use VMWare Fusion and/or Boot Camp for some Windows-only programs I use. I have a Dell right now with Windows XP and I have the unpackaged disc that came with it. If I have that "reinstallation" disc (I think service pack 1), could I just buy VMWare Fusion or would I also have to buy a full installation copy of XP Home for $200?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
for boot camp you need at least xp service pack 2.... and i think regardless for both you would need a separate full copy of windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Yes, you do need a full retail copy of XP to use BootCamp.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
Where would be the cheapest place to get that? Almost all eBay listings don't give that information and I worry about if it's been previously installed. I have some rewards credit/money from Office Depot, but XP Home is $200! Any cheaper way just for VMWare Fusion, not BootCamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are you a student?

Reaction score
Fusion and Boot Camp both require legal full copies of XP. But under Fusion, you could run XP SP1 if that's all you had, for example. For Boot Camp, you need SP2 or SP3.

You can buy an OEM version of XP online at newegg.com for $99. I bought these for my three Macs under Fusion and they worked great and installed perfectly.

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I started high school last month, why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I meant college because i joined IEEE as a student and got vista business full for free....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.