who is this guy named ''jay'' and why is he connected to my computer??

Reaction score
my airport is off and im connected through the internet with an ethernet cable. but theres two other computers that are connected to mine i think. how do i get rid of them?

heres some pics

30vkupl.png

o5264m.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
They are necessarily connected to you, just available through Apple's Appletalk sharing system.

Go into your firewall settings and just turn off file-sharing, remote connect, and all that stuff and you will be fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
They are necessarily connected to you, just available through Apple's Appletalk sharing system.

Go into your firewall settings and just turn off file-sharing, remote connect, and all that stuff and you will be fine.

whats appletalk sharing system? is the useful? or good to use?
so is jay and the other computer actual people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
whats appletalk sharing system? is the useful? or good to use?
so is jay and the other computer actual people?

It is useful for connecting to other people's computers for all kinds of different tasks.

Well, those are the computer names, and obviously they are owned by someone .... so technically I guess they are people, but they are not user's that are actually connected to your computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you on a network like say at a College dorm or apartment building internet?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are there any other computers, Windows computers on your network? How are you connected to the Internet? You sure Airport (WiFi) is turned off? How about Bluetooth? Network users can get into Bluetooth also.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just to elaborate on what the others have said...

If there are other computers on your network that have file sharing services turned on, the Finder may display those computer names as shown in your screen shot. If you are on a public network, there is no cause for concern. If it's a private network, it might be alarming. You've said you're connected via Ethernet, is the other end of that Ethernet cable connected to a router? If so, is that router a wireless one?

OP
M
Reaction score
Are there any other computers, Windows computers on your network? How are you connected to the Internet? You sure Airport (WiFi) is turned off? How about Bluetooth? Network users can get into Bluetooth also.

im connected with an ethernet cable and im sure airport is turned off and bluetooth

Just to elaborate on what the others have said...

If there are other computers on your network that have file sharing services turned on, the Finder may display those computer names as shown in your screen shot. If you are on a public network, there is no cause for concern. If it's a private network, it might be alarming. You've said you're connected via Ethernet, is the other end of that Ethernet cable connected to a router? If so, is that router a wireless one?

im on a private network from home. im connected to an att modem thats also a wireless router. so does that mean other people are connected to my internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
It is possible that they are connected to your wireless router. Do you have any security enabled on it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im on a private network from home. im connected to an att modem thats also a wireless router. so does that mean other people are connected to my internet?

That's exactly what it means. Better lock that wireless down or turn the wireless off completely if you don't use it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what it means. Better lock that wireless down or turn the wireless off completely if you don't use it.

Agreed 100%.

Do you have any encryption set up on your routers wifi connection? If so is is WEP, WPA, WPA2? I would suggest WPA or WPA2 to keep people from using your WiFi.

OP
M
Reaction score
Agreed 100%.

Do you have any encryption set up on your routers wifi connection? If so is is WEP, WPA, WPA2? I would suggest WPA or WPA2 to keep people from using your WiFi.

uh...not really sure how you do that cuz im new with att..i used to have comcast and netgear router which i new how to controll and everything but this i havent really figured out this new router

well for my other comps and ipod touch it wont let me connect to the wirless without entering a password which is the number on the back of the router. does this mean its already security enabled? i dont see how other people can connect to my internet unless they know the number on the back of the router too

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uh...not really sure how you do that cuz im new with att..i used to have comcast and netgear router which i new how to controll and everything but this i havent really figured out this new router

well for my other comps and ipod touch it wont let me connect to the wirless without entering a password which is the number on the back of the router. does this mean its already security enabled? i dont see how other people can connect to my internet unless they know the number on the back of the router too

Well, your AT&T modem doubles as your router. So, you just need to figure out what its local IP address is in order to connect to its configuration web page. You can do this by determining your default gateway. If you can figure out what your IP address is (should be easy enough if you go to Applications => Utilities => Network Utility), then on the Info tab, choose Network Interface en0 (or en1 for Ethernet). Your IP address is probably either 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx. Whichever one it is, the default gateway would have an address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (just substitute a .1 for the last number of your IP address).

Now, once you have that, just open a web browser, type the address into the address bar and you should be able to log into your router's configuration page. You may need to supply a username and password. This should be covered in your manual. Then, you'll have access to your wireless settings. If you don't need it, turn the wireless off entirely. If you do, make sure you set the encryption/security settings to "WPA" or "WPA2". You'll need to choose a password (this will be needed when connecting wirelessly) and that should be it.

If this all sounds way too complicated, give AT&T's tech support a call and have them walk you through it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, your AT&T modem doubles as your router. So, you just need to figure out what its local IP address is in order to connect to its configuration web page. You can do this by determining your default gateway. If you can figure out what your IP address is (should be easy enough if you go to Applications => Utilities => Network Utility), then on the Info tab, choose Network Interface en0 (or en1 for Ethernet). Your IP address is probably either 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx. Whichever one it is, the default gateway would have an address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (just substitute a .1 for the last number of your IP address).

Now, once you have that, just open a web browser, type the address into the address bar and you should be able to log into your router's configuration page. You may need to supply a username and password. This should be covered in your manual. Then, you'll have access to your wireless settings. If you don't need it, turn the wireless off entirely. If you do, make sure you set the encryption/security settings to "WPA" or "WPA2". You'll need to choose a password (this will be needed when connecting wirelessly) and that should be it.

If this all sounds way too complicated, give AT&T's tech support a call and have them walk you through it.

ahh..that does sound complicated...well im gonna cancel att on the 20th anyways cuz i hate att internet. it way to slow compared to comcast and keeps disconnecting. i just subscribed to their internet for a month to get a discount on my cell phone..haha

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just be careful while you wait - if you can see them, they can see you too. Also, it would be a shame if they're using your network to do anything illegal (like transferring certain types of files via Limewire or another P2P system) as that activity is attributable to your account, you could be held liable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What router do you have? Is it part of the DSL Modem like CWA was mentioning?

If you go Comcast, the same rules for WiFi still apply. Be sure the security for WiFi is on and if possible WPA or WPA2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.