• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Questions regarding NY

D

Desolate One

Hey guys, thinking about moving to NY for a job but have no idea how the area is. The job is located on Long Island and have no idea wot to expect. For example, is traffic that bad that I should sell my car? How's the cost of living out there? Is the area nice near the Woodbury, Syosset, Muttontown, Brookville areas?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
never lived there, but visited a few times. i stayed with a relative in Scarsborough, and the area was really nice. But from the look of it, that area was $$$$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17" 80GB
undefined
Desolate One said:
Hey guys, thinking about moving to NY for a job but have no idea how the area is. The job is located on Long Island and have no idea wot to expect. For example, is traffic that bad that I should sell my car? How's the cost of living out there? Is the area nice near the Woodbury, Syosset, Muttontown, Brookville areas?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Those are all really nice and very expense areas to live. Where on Long Island is the job? There may be other nice and somewhat affordable area around.

OP
D

Desolate One

The job is in Syosset that's why I'm looking in that area. Never enjoyed a long commute. Right now my commute is about 10min, I've gotten it under 8min a couple times in little traffic & good timing w/ the lights.

Are there any other areas that are less expensive but still near Syosset?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Syosset is near the north shore of the Island. There are not many inexpensive areas on the north shore but if you look towards the south shore there would be plenty of places that aren't rediculously priced..Not sure what the driving time would be on the parkways up to the north shore but just taking main roads would take a bout 1 hour from south to north

OP
D

Desolate One

Oh man, an hour!? I can't have that! heh. Well I'll keep looking for places, you guys keep the good info coming!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
8-10 minutes is practically impossible in NY unless you are upstate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17" 80GB
trpnmonkey41 said:
8-10 minutes is practically impossible in NY unless you are upstate

You could look somewhere like East Meadow, Wantagh, Massapequa. Dont know if you are looking to buy or rent. Those place are near the Wantagh Parkage and the Seaford/Oyster Bay Expressway. Hop on one of those and your in Syosset in 20-25 min.

OP
D

Desolate One

Well I found a couple apartments in Levittown and I Map Quested the trip to the office and it came out to 15 minutes. Unfortunately for a tiny studio the price was pretty high. I may have to re-negotiate salary w/ the company due to the hike in rent out there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.