FireWire via Ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
I read on another forum that it is possible to hook up a firewire device (for me and audio interface) via ethernet with a suitable adapter? I would just like to know if there is any truth behind this? It would make the new MB so much more tempting!

Many Thanks,
Stef

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have never seen such a device, and from a technical perspective, I can't imaging how it would work. An Ethernet adapter is not a bus, it is a network interface. There is such a thing as a USB to Firewire adapter, but I have never seen anything like an Ethernet to Firewire adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I stand corrected. Very interesting...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for this, but this adapter is intended only for the TC-NT2, which is a network cable tester. With this adapter the TC-NT2 will be able to test USB and FireWire cables also, but no more... :(

OK, I missed that. Also, the specification for IEEE1394 does allow for firewire to be transmitted over Ethernet, but it doesn't allow for an Ethernet adapter to be used as a FW interface (in other words, you can do it one way, but not the other).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.