USB Hard Drive + Logic

Reaction score
I want to buy an external hard drive, install Logic on it, and use it to save all of my music from Logic on it as well. Is this possible or do I have to install Logic on the internal hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I want to buy an external hard drive, install Logic on it, and use it to save all of my music from Logic on it as well. Is this possible or do I have to install Logic on the internal hard drive?

Logic Studio 8 has about 50GBs worth of data to install. You can install the vast majority of this on an external drive during the installation process, although some core components really should be installed on the local dive (about 4GBs worth).

I would very strongly recommend you use a Firewire external drive, because it will perform far better than a USB 2.0 drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What exactly needs to be installed on the local hard drive?

The application, data for the core synths effects etc, some samples (such as the ultra-beat and the EX 24). The Jam Packs and other samples can be installed on the external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure that's only 4gb?

My Logic folder is 3.05 GBs (including some saves) - the actual Logic App is 345MBs and there are some smaller apps like Logic Node, Mainstage, waveburner and others that add up to a couple of hundred MBs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.