Apple Extreme Basestation not working!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz, OS-X.5.4, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD --- iPod Touch 8GB
I've bought a second hand Apple Extreme Basestation off Amazon.com quite some time back. The hardware seems fine, but I'm trying to pair it with my Macbook and it's not working. I've installed it, read the instruction manual and gone onto applications>utilities>airport utilities and tried from there to pair it with my macbook but no luck.

I don't know what I've done wrong, is there any help I can receive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You say you bought it some time back. Have you used it at all before trying it out with your MacBook? Because it's going to be hard to troubleshoot the problem if there's a possibility the base station itself may not be working right.

There's really not much involved in hooking up the base station. All fairly straight forward but you should probably go over the connections again and setup to make sure. If your ISP has issued you a modem, make sure it's compatible with the base station (most are). And that you have the modem connected correctly. If the base station is broadcasting, the airport application should detect it.

What exactly are you getting from the base station if anything? Can your MacBook even "see" it?

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz, OS-X.5.4, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD --- iPod Touch 8GB
Hmmm... well I'm not using a modem to do this so far. I'm only trying to access my USB devices like the printer, dongles wirelessly (do I need to use modem to do this)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of service do you have? DSL or Cable? How are you accessing the net now? Unless you're using Verizon FIOS, your WAN\LAN line is feeding into a modem which then connects to a router. Wireless or ethernet from the router to your Mac.

As I understand it, you're trying to hook the printer and other USB devices wirelessly through the base station. What's the base station's input?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.