ubuntu on mac

Reaction score
I have received ubuntu in the mail and was wondering if I can install it on Mac using bootcamp? Ifs so, how, and would you recommend this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
You can install it if you have an intel mac. Partition your hard drive as you normally would for Boot Camp, but instead of inserting the Windows installation disk just substitute the Ubuntu disk. You should be able to install it as you would any other system. Be aware though that driver support is limited for linux on a Mac, and a lot of the system's features will be unavailable.

Another option which works great is just to install it using Parallels. It will run great and have full support for video, sound, wireless, etc..

Good luck..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp is not geared toward running Linux.

An even better idea would be to run it in a Virtual Machine. This way, you don't have to repartition the hard disk and risk damaging your OS X installation. Instead, a program like VirtualBox (free/open source), Parallels ($79) or VMWare Fusion ($79) will allow you to install it in its own "Sandbox", without any of the hassles normally associated with a dual-boot OS installation.

Reaction score
I have run Ubuntu on my MacBook for some time under Fusion. You can download free trial versions of both Fusion and Parallels and see how you like them. For Linux installs, I recommend Fusion as its Linux support (not just for Ubuntu but for numerous flavors of Linux) is excellent. Plus you can download "virtual appliances" of prebuilt VMs for Linux and other things from their website for free. For Windows installs, Fusion and Parallels are pretty interchangeable, in my opinion, having used both. But for Linux, I prefer Fusion.

If you install Fusion, search for my post about how to install VM Ware Tools on an Ubuntu VM, you'll find it most helpful.

Cheers and good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can simply install Ubuntu on a separate partition.

When you start up just press the alt key to bring up the boot disk screen, you can choose an installed partition with the penguin icon from there

Reaction score
HI
Is it possible to install ubuntu in usb, then boot it up in macbook? If yes, How is it? I did read about the possibilities but can't find how to. I tried virtual box but it took up too much RAM.. And I actually want to play around with Ubuntu's effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Why, if you could, and you cant!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 32gb first gen. MacBook, iBook G4 and a broken PowerBook G4 15"
Why, if you could, and you cant!
Yes you can! I help with Ubuntu and you should be able to run it fine! :)
And yeah, If you want something to mess around with, go for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what do you mean "without messing with os x"

OP
M
Reaction score
What i mean is can i install it on my emac without effecting os x? On my PC, I am able to install it so that it gives me the option of booting up either windows or ubuntu. Can I do the same with my emac?

OP
M
Reaction score
BTW my specs are

Machine Model: eMac
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.2f1

Reaction score
What i mean is can i install it on my emac without effecting os x? On my PC, I am able to install it so that it gives me the option of booting up either windows or ubuntu. Can I do the same with my emac?

You're talking about dual booting. You would need to partition your hard drive first then install ubuntu. How it interacts with the Mac at boot, I do not know. Grub (the bootloader) works fine with windows but like I say, I don't know about mac.

As someone said earlier, perhaps virtualization is a better way to go until you get some other advice from someone who has done it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.