iTunes won't recognize my CD drive

Reaction score
I have two drives, my original combo drive with my G4 desktop, and a DVD burner i installed. For some reason i can't burn CD's with iTunes 7 (i use OS 10.4.7 and need to keep it that way for a while), although i always could before. I tells me, Checking Media... and then rejects the disc. I tried a bunch of CD's though, and both drives, still no dice. Is this a known issue?

Thank you for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've had a look at the Prefs > Advanced > Burning options in iT 7, and I note that they're tied to the internal cd burner (a Sony in my case). I switched on the Pioneer external, and after restarting iT, it shows up in the options.

So, it would be a most unfortunate coincidence if both your burners were to go belly-up at the same time. All I can suggest is a lens cleaner disk or the aerosol compressed air treatment.

When you say "a bunch of CDS", I take that to mean several different brands of blank CDs. Just what brands did you try?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.