A reliable External HD - such a thing?

Reaction score
I have a LaCie 1TB external HD and at the time I bought it, I though it had the best reviews out there. I was thinking of getting a 2nd one (for added security) and the current reviews seem to say the power source dies around the 1 year mark - eeekkkks!

Is there a good and reliable external HD out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
A what??? Western Digital!! God the rest are scum, I would have thought every one new that :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
I've been running a 1TB WD for the last year or so, and I haven't had any issues at all with it. It's also pretty tough considering it made it through a deployment and a couple moves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All leading brands are pretty reliable - Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Maxtor. Depends on the luck of the draw and all come with a 12 month warranty. They are mass produced items and there will ALWAYS be a few that fail within the warranty period. That is life!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PowerMac Dual 2.3 GHz 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Os X 10.4.11
I have always run LaCie drives - not as big as 1TB - but I am currently using six 500GB drives, and they are all very reliable. The only thing I use them for is backing up - but they are backed up to using Time Machine on the Macs and a free software on the PCs, every day, and they have been nothing but reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
The only two I ever use for work, and for use in my servers are Western Digital or Seagate, the others arent bad but not as good and Maxtor do not touch with anything, there is a reason they are cheaper then other brands - they are crap avoid where possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.