Merging Volumes

Reaction score
I have just bought a used MacBook Pro. It seems someone divided the HD into a couple partitions to install windows. I deleted all the files and now have 40+ GIGS of space on a different volume. I would like to merge this space with the root volume without blowing anything up. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention if your used MBP has Leopard installed? If it does, run the Boot Camp assistant, select "create partition", then select "restore". That will remove the Windows partition and restore (and merge) the entire HDD back to OS X.

If the partition was created other than by the Boot Camp assistant, post back.

Regards.

OP
V
Reaction score
Well the funny thing is I dont know the answer to either question. I just purchased it as my first MAC today. It was used and I have NO idea what the former owner has done.

Any help on finding this info out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First click on the "Apple" menu. Then select "About this Mac". That will bring up a dialog stating which version of OS X the machine is running. If it states
"10.5.X", your MBP has Leopard installed. Anything less than 10.5 (for example 10.4) would indicate an earlier operating system. OS X Tiger (10.4.X) supported a beta version of Boot Camp but that has since expired.

If your machine is running Leopard, do this:

Click on the "Finder" (smiley face on the dock) and then select "Utilities". You'll see an application named "Boot Camp Assistant.app". Double click the Boot Camp Assistant icon to start it running. Then follow my previous instructions: "Create Partition", "Restore".

Post back if you're not running Leopard.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.