Starting OS X apps using Darwin

C

CornBread

I would like to be able to start OS X applications from the terminal prompt...is this possible? :confused: The 'ps' command does not describe currently running OS X apps (it doesn't even show that Apache is cookin) so I'm a bit confused as to how to monitor all system processes (OS X and Darwin) if I'm ssh'd into my machine remotely. Is there some literature somewhere describing the information I'm looking for? I've searched in vain...now I turn to YOU, steadfast Apple community, for the answer to my boggle.

Thanks for any help you may provide...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The ps command does show the process running. Enter man ps to see what option you may want to use (i.e. ps -ef). Also the command top will give you a continuous look at the processes that are running.

OP
H

haize

CornBread said:
I would like to be able to start OS X applications from the terminal prompt...is this possible? :confused: The 'ps' command does not describe currently running OS X apps (it doesn't even show that Apache is cookin) so I'm a bit confused as to how to monitor all system processes (OS X and Darwin) if I'm ssh'd into my machine remotely. Is there some literature somewhere describing the information I'm looking for? I've searched in vain...now I turn to YOU, steadfast Apple community, for the answer to my boggle.

Thanks for any help you may provide...

Hi !

OSX (Cocoa) Applications are packages (folders) that contain lots of files.
The real programm file is in [application_u_want]/Contents/MacOS/[name_of_the_app_u_want]
I give u an example :
I wanna start Safari from the Terminal : i type :
/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
This will launch the app as if u had clicked onto Safari.app
U can also exit the application by typing in the same term shell : Control-C

So u can write scripts to launch appz when u start ur comp... ;)

OP
R

resrc

starting apps from terminal

go to /Applications and just type 'open Safari' (without semicolons).

No need to go into /Applications/Safari/Contents/....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.