Install XP from an Upgrade Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I am sure this has been addressed, but I am clumsy searching the forums :p

Anyway, the copy of XP that I own is an upgrade disc, since I have had previous versions of Windows and I didnt want to pay full price (obviously). When trying to install in Bootcamp, however, I run into a problem because when it asks me to swap out the install disc for my copy of Windows 98, I cannot eject the install disc. I am doing all of this on a macbook pro

1) Why can't I eject the disc?

2) If ejecting the disc is not going to be possible at this stage of the installation, does anyone know a way in which I could slipstream the proof needed for the installation to proceed directly into an install disc? I had to create a new install disc in the first place because the upgrade disc is only toting SP1... and for obvious reasons Mac won't touch that. So, I am comfortable with the process, I would just need to know what files to grab from the 98 disc and where to stick them in the file structure of XP.

3) If I am either way off base or suggesting something illegal with question 2, is there another work around?

Thank you very much!

Chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp requires the full version of XP with SP2 integrated into the disc. Apple specifically states this requirement in their documentation.

Also, it is not legal to use a copy of Windows XP that you have already used and are running on another system.

Reaction score
If you have a full (not upgrade) version of SP1, there are some posts on the forum about how to slipstream SP2 onto the disk. If you search for "slipstream" you'll find them. But Apple's documentation is very specific - you need a full version of Windows XP SP2 (or SP3) on a single disc. Upgrade and manufacturer-specific discs won't work. Once you can get your disc out, consider purchasing an OEM version at newegg.com. What you are trying to do not only won't work per the boot camp documentation, it also violates the EULA, as indicated above.

OP
C
Reaction score
My bad...

Thanks for the replies.

About the violation of the EULA... XP will not be installed on more than one system. Its an old upgrade that was used on an old computer that I no longer use. I blanked the harddrive and then put some Linux distributions on it to play around. I just saved the disc because... well, I don't throw things I buy away, typically.

And as far as I know, an upgrade disc IS a full installation, it just requires that you own a previous copy of windows, and I own windows 98. I know for a fact you can do clean installs with an upgrade disc. The only violation that I could possibly do, I think, is to create a disc that did not need the verify that I already own win98, and I dont even know if that would be illegal because I do legitimately own everything.

So... with the legality cleared up (I appreciate the concern), can anyone think of a work around? I am not asking if the manual says its possible or not. Everything I have is legit, and I am not running this version of Windows in more than one place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
No, you need a full retail version with SP2 for it to work with BootCamp.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you have a full (not upgrade) version of SP1, there are some posts on the forum about how to slipstream SP2 onto the disk. If you search for "slipstream" you'll find them.

As I said originally, I have already performed the slipstream (and this is not my first time). But thanks.

I don't understand the reason for upgrade discs not being allowed, other than for the fact that you cannot eject during the process because of driver issues, I am assuming that's the reason (no one has made any suggestions about that question).

I have to say, that I am kind of surprised that the only two replies I have gotten have been more concerned with assuming I am doing something wrong than actually answering my questions. There was nothing in my initial description that implied that I was installing on more than one machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
No, you need a full retail version with SP2 for it to work with BootCamp.

Are you saying that just because it is in the documentation, or is there a reason? I am not trying to be a jerk about this, but typically I get really good information on forms about the how's and why's, and I am just getting do's and dont's here, and its kind of a bummer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you saying that just because it is in the documentation, or is there a reason? I am not trying to be a jerk about this, but typically I get really good information on forms about the how's and why's, and I am just getting do's and dont's here, and its kind of a bummer.

Here's the deal... our forum rules prohibit the discussion of illegal activity.

The EULA for the upgrade edition of Windows XP specifically states that it is to be used as an upgrade of an existing Windows-based system. It's also very specific as to what versions of Windows it can be used to upgrade. Based on this, we can not and will not assist or participate in any discussion of illegal activity. Therefore, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.