Charisse & Ashley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Photos for some models that showed up at a Strobist meet we had in Frederick, Md this afternoon. What's everyone think?

Lighting info and links to the larger sizes can be found by clicking the photos. They go to my Flickr page.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try not to take any of this the wrong way, it's just an honest critique.

your lighting, as always is superb, though, that one behind the top model is a bit odd... i'd rather see a bit of halo showing her curves than that hot-spot (combined with the dark dress/background combo) that blinds us from seeing much of her.

the poses however, i find basic at best, awkward at worst. the top model certainly looks, um, uncomfortable. the composition also, on both is a bit boring.

honestly, i really like your photos that take something a bit ugly and make it interesting or beautiful. the chick photos are usually a bit **-hum.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The light that looks like a star burst effect or whatever looks tacky. >_<"

The 2nd model looks like she has no neck. I like the lightning in the 2nd photo though.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
try not to take any of this the wrong way, it's just an honest critique.

your lighting, as always is superb, though, that one behind the top model is a bit odd... i'd rather see a bit of halo showing her curves than that hot-spot (combined with the dark dress/background combo) that blinds us from seeing much of her.

the poses however, i find basic at best, awkward at worst. the top model certainly looks, um, uncomfortable. the composition also, on both is a bit boring.

honestly, i really like your photos that take something a bit ugly and make it interesting or beautiful. the chick photos are usually a bit **-hum.

The top one was lit with three lights. A 300w/s strobe with a CTO, an SB26 speedlight with grid spot, and the Vivitar behind her. The strobe was high above the girl and off to the left. I didn't want a lot of illumination from it, just enough where it would light here whole body just a little bit. The grid spot was to the left but more infront of the girl than the AB. I just wanted that fired at her upper body. I do have some photos where the back light is just that, but I liked the dramatic effect from getting the bare flash straight on.

I was just doing some basic shots for the girls. I do have some ideas, it's just difficult getting people to cooperate to test them out.

The light that looks like a star burst effect or whatever looks tacky. >_<"

The 2nd model looks like she has no neck. I like the lightning in the 2nd photo though.

It's just a bare speed light fired directly at the camera. The 2nd is a pretty typical lighting setup. One large diffused light source above the model and two diffused light sources 45 degrees behind the model on each side to act as highlights.

Reaction score
Models posing at an abandoned warehouse... sexy? I guess... The solar shine just looks out of place and a little tacky. It's best to learn subtlety in your designs layering small elements than just one big one. It's also too contrasty and doesn't look at all realistic nor does it blend in, in anyway. Try to expand your skillset w/o relying on cheap filters, you'll become a better designer in the long run.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Models posing at an abandoned warehouse... sexy? I guess... The solar shine just looks out of place and a little tacky. It's best to learn subtlety in your designs layering small elements than just one big one. It's also too contrasty and doesn't look at all realistic nor does it blend in, in anyway. Try to expand your skillset w/o relying on cheap filters, you'll become a better designer in the long run.

That's funny. That "cheap filter" is actually a flash setup about 30" behind the model. It's blue because the a CTO gel was on the strobe above and to the left of the model and the camera's WB was set to match your typical incandescent bulb, making the ungelled flash's color temperature appear blue.

And actually, there are two lights to the left. One's an B800 with a CTO gel that's underexposed to just light the model at about a stop and a half under the correct exposure and the second is a gelled Nikon SB something or other with a grid spot on it to focus on the model's upper body.

There wasn't much editing done in post. Sharpening, curves, skin smooth, and maybe some touch ups here and there, but nothing was added in after wards. All the contrast was create by lights, not filters.

I'm a photographer, not a designer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.