how can u tell if your wireless is being hijacked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
using leopard, see the icon on the left that says kateslaptop?

not sure who kate is, a neighbor perhaps?. get info shows the icon as a "pc server"?????

what does this mean? are they accessing our airport network? Im stumped.

it says connected as guest. clicking the icon I get a "connecting" message... ?

any advice appreciated as Im a total networking newbie.

or is this our mac picking up someone else's wireless signal?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Your router is unsecured, enable WPA2 so no one can use it without your password.

The distance to Kate's Laptop isn't very far, could be your immediate neighbor, or if your router is on a 2nd floor, it could be as far as two houses over (better reception with higher elevation).

Once you enable encryption, this user will no longer have access to your network. If you have any PC's, make sure they have anti-virus enabled because if Kate has a virus, you very well could get it on any PC's in your network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
leave the connection open for a few days. lock it up on october 2nd, but until then change your networks name to "kate get off our wireless"

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Lol I like that. I have done that before.

Reaction score
leave the connection open for a few days. lock it up on october 2nd, but until then change your networks name to "kate get off our wireless"

LOL... that's a good one. I still don't understand why everyone doesn't just put a password on their wireless networks. There will always be one cheapass out there trying to get over.

Reaction score
If you have write access to "kateslaptop" start putting a bunch of large files on it until you fill-up the hard drive. ;)

Seriously, at the very least you need to have MAC filtering enabled on your access point so unauthorized people cannot access your network. What you really need to do is:

1) Disable your SSID so you aren't broadcasting it throughout your whole neighborhood. This will only keep the honest people honest and really isn't a security measure as such. If someone wants to find out what networks are available, this isn't going to stop them.
2) Enable some kind of encryption mechanism. WEP will keep the honest people honest, but WPA/WPA2 is better if you have that available.
3) Extra step would be to combine encryption with MAC filtering so that only YOUR machine(s) have access to your Wireless network.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you have write access to "kateslaptop" start putting a bunch of large files on it until you fill-up the hard drive. ;)

I don't think people need to go this far to prove a point. Just put a password on your Network and get on with it. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.