Setting up a Static IP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17"
I am a Marine currently stationed in 29 Palms, CA, going to school here. I need some torrent downloading fast. I hear that the best set-up for a torrenter is a static IP set-up. I try setting my router to a static IP, but I find I am just too stupid to figure it out on my own, or I just don't wanna deal with it when I know there are soem very intelligent people on Mac Forums.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro, and I am using a Belkin N1 Wireless Router. I am just lookin for a little help! Thanks in advance,
Reid Peterson, Lance Corporal, USMC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Static "Internet" IP's are provided by your ISP. If your ISP is not providing you one you cannot just set up your equipment as such.

Reaction score
Setting a static IP is done on your computer, not the router. You need to set one in the range the router expects, usually 192.168.1.100-whatever.
Open the Network prefs and set "Configure IPv4" to Manually. Type in an IP address (check your router docs for this).
You might also need to open certain ports in the router. Check this site and look up your router for instructions:
http://www.portforward.com/
You need to know what port/s to open for what particular application, see their web site for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.