Speakers and Monitor for macbook with Cubase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
Hi, I am looking to buy some speakers for use with my macbook whilst using Cubase. There are a lot that I have seen, and not sure what is best. I am not looking to spend 100's of pounds on them, but I am not sure what is best because I don't really know what to look for apart from the amount of watts. I have looked at these which seen a good price, and have a lot of good reviews, but more for listening to music. Also the Altec Lansing MX5021, but i have seen that they don't have magnetic shielding and I'm not sure if I can get them far enough away from my computer and external HD.

The other thing that i was wondering is can they be plugged straight into my Macbook, without an amplifier?

I am also thinking about getting a monitor for use at home, as a 13.3" screen is fine for normal use, but is quite small when using Cubase or other DAW's. I really don't have a clue about monitors or how to connect/set them up, so any help/suggestions about things to consider will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance;D

Mike

Reaction score
yes you can plug them into you macbook without the need for an amplifier.

BUT if you dont mind spending a lil extra, get a quality set of bookshelf speakers like these or these and buy a T-Amp.

then you can buy a 10" Dayton Sub. it goes right in line with what youd have above, no need to buy anything extra.

this will get you a sound stage 10x better than any computer speaker set youll buy without spending $500+.

OP
mikey.b@gmx.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
yes you can plug them into you macbook without the need for an amplifier.

BUT if you dont mind spending a lil extra, get a quality set of bookshelf speakers like these or these and buy a T-Amp.

then you can buy a 10" Dayton Sub. it goes right in line with what youd have above, no need to buy anything extra.

this will get you a sound stage 10x better than any computer speaker set youll buy without spending $500+.

Thanks! That looks a much better solution! I will look into getting a set up like that.

Anyone know anything about monitors?

Cheers

Mike

Reaction score
all you should need to buy is a mini-dv to vga or dvi to connect another monitor to your macbook. pretty much any respectively sized widescreen monitor will work up to 1920 x 1200 pixels in size. now with a monitor that size your video will run slower because that is alot of pixels for your video card to push. it may or may not be noticeable.

post up a few monitors your looking at and ill help you along.

OP
mikey.b@gmx.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks!

I was looking at the Samsung SyncMaster 225BW but recently I saw this Acer monitor, and I'm wandering if it is any good, because it is so cheap. I'm also wondering the same thing about this Samsung monitor. All 3 are 22". Can't see me needing anything bigger than that, and could probably make do with smaller.

Mike

Reaction score
samsung. the end. they make amazing monitors. of the 2 samsung you posted id go with the second. itll fit your needs and more.

OP
mikey.b@gmx.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
samsung. the end. they make amazing monitors. of the 2 samsung you posted id go with the second. itll fit your needs and more.

Thanks very much for all your help Greyspot. ;D

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.