Need help setting up Apple TV as a music server

Reaction score
I want to use my A-TV as a music server where I want iTunes to sync it like an IPOD wirelessly and then I'll use the optical out feeding an outboard DAC then on to my stereo. I don't want to stream music directly from my computer. Now my question...do I need to set up an Airport Express or can the built in wireless capabilites of my new iMac and the A-TV work w/o the Airport?

Second question, if I do need the Airport does it have to be physically connected to my A-TV? These are, I'm sure, real dumb questions but I've never dealt w/ wireless or MAC stuff before. Thanks.

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok...

...this seems to be an unknown thing. How 'bout this, will using an Airport Express extend the signal strength and such of the built in wireless of the iMac? Speed of transfer? Heeeelp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
If you don't have a router, you will need to create a wireless network on your iMac. Your AppleTV will then join this network. You setup AppleTV to sync your entire Music Library within iTunes AFTER you have paired the AppleTV with your iTunes library (AppleTV will walk you thru this)

You can only extend your wireless network with an Airport Express/Extreme if you already have another Airport in place.
The AppleTV will NOT extend a wireless network, it merely joins one.

Lastly, an Airport is only needed if you want to share your internet connection or join multiple computers together wirelessly (or by cable if you use the RJ45 ports on the back) Just like a Netgear or Linksys router would (they just don't do it as well. Airports rock)

OP
O
Reaction score
If you don't have a router, you will need to create a wireless network on your iMac. Your AppleTV will then join this network. You setup AppleTV to sync your entire Music Library within iTunes AFTER you have paired the AppleTV with your iTunes library (AppleTV will walk you thru this)

You can only extend your wireless network with an Airport Express/Extreme if you already have another Airport in place.
The AppleTV will NOT extend a wireless network, it merely joins one.

Lastly, an Airport is only needed if you want to share your internet connection or join multiple computers together wirelessly (or by cable if you use the RJ45 ports on the back) Just like a Netgear or Linksys router would (they just don't do it as well. Airports rock)

Thanks for responding. I'm new to Mac and wireless setups. How do I go about setting up a wireless network w/ my iMac? I can find no directions for this in the book. Right now under Airport settings the network name is DLinkVWR, I have an IP address, it is connected. Does this mean I already have a wireless network set up?

So, to be sure, you say that I don't need the Airport Express as a part of this network for my A-TV to work? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
So, to be sure, you say that I don't need the Airport Express as a part of this network for my A-TV to work? Thanks.

Nope. The AppleTV itself is wireless, it will join your existing network.

If your iMac is connected to a wireless network, and it's NOT yours, you could be using a neighbors connection which gives them the potential (if they're saavy enough) to try and access your computer(s).

To add the AppleTV to the network you go into Settings and choose Network. It will guide you through the process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.