Purchasing OS 9

J

JRJ26

is it possible to buy OS 9 from somewhere online or offline? Also, I think I already know the answer, but can you install OS 9 on a PowerBook or any other current computer? What computers can install OS 9? I have a sudden interest in OS 9, and I just would like to get more experience w/ it, and Classic isn't really that great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
classic isnt that great, then again, os 9 was no os x. it was almost windowsis, not very stable, no auto memory allocation, nothing. most macs supprt os 9, no g5 mac will, or g4 pbooks or ibooks(the newest models I mean). but why a sudden interest? OS 9 was supposed to be what os x is now. you wont learn anything new really, except how to allocate memory manually, which is useless in os x. and even that isnt something self taught.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and as far as purchasing, youll have to purchase hardware specific ones that are hard to find for your ibook, unless someone thinks they will never need them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Mac OS 8 and 9: Compatibility with Macintosh computers…

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114

My experience with OS 9 as a boot system is that it is very solid with very, very few crashes. Comparing it to OS X is like comparing apples to that other fruit.

As far as buying OS 9, look on ebay. There are several on there, just be sure that it will install on your machine.

OP
J

JRJ26

well, I'm just interested in using another OS in addition to X. I'd like to use 9 again and see what the OS was like before the great changes made in X(i used 9 in high school, but I didn't really have an interest in Apple then).

So I've been searching ebay, and I've found a few G4 cubes and other computers that can use OS 9. I already have my PowerBook G4. 1.33Ghz w/ Mac OS X 10.3, so I'm just looking for an inexpensive computer w/ OS 9 to play around with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I have a g4 cube and it had os 9 when I first got it. but a g4 cube will be hard to find if its what you want, but Id suggest a g3 imac, cheap at around $200 and can run os 9 and x.

OP
J

JRJ26

thanks guys.

Macman, how safe do you think it is to buy a Cube on eBay, especially if the current bid is $200? You can get:
-the computer, keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor(15" studio display), cables. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook. 512 MB RAM. And Mac OS 9(yay)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14912&item=5742057021&rd=1

What do you think? Is this too good to be true? Should I bid(i've never really used eBay). Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.