Setting Up a Server for Mac<>PC File Transfering.

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently got my own Mac, a MBP. I still use my PC that is running Vista. Basically Until I have a finished converting all my typical software to mac versions I will still be using my PC. Even after I will still probably use it for watching videos.

My question is how is it best to go about sharing files. I was thinking of setting up another PC with maybe a linux OS to share all music, video, and pictures. Having a Windows server would be nice with it being a familiar OS to me, but I was under the understanding that the file system wouldn't be readable by my MBP.

Is there a better option for opening a playground for my PC and Mac or if a server is good, what is best OS for it?

Thanks in advance!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd suggest you look into what is known as a "NAS" device. A NAS (network attached storage) is like a small server whose sole mission in life is to provide storage to any device connected to your network. I use a D-Link DNS-323, which is fairly expensive, but highly reliable device for precisely this reason. What I like about the DNS-323 in particular is that it can house 2 drives in a RAID 1 array, which means that any data stored on the volume is mirrored between the two drives. If one drive fails, the other drive still has all of the data. In addition, it has a built-in print server and an iTunes Server (shows up as a "Shared Library" within iTunes). It will run you about $170 for the device + the cost of drive(s), but it's well worth the investment IMO - and much cheaper and more convenient than building a Linux box (even on old hardware). Just my $0.02.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the tip. May be a good option later. As right now all my money is tied into paying off the MBP and buying a good 2 grand in software in near future. That was sort of why I was looking for a way of sharing it out on one of my 2 PCs I currently have. While one needs to stay as is (vista) the other is open for anything. That was why I was trying for server or share idea for the other PC.

Sounds great though, I'll keep it in mind if I come across one. I may be able to get one cheap through my work. Thanks again cwa107.

Another random question I forgot to include, is there a way to make my function key work like control key works in windows? So I can easily fast type "fn+z/c/v/a/ect" for undo/copy/paste/selectall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram
Another random question I forgot to include, is there a way to make my function key work like control key works in windows? So I can easily fast type "fn+z/c/v/a/ect" for undo/copy/paste/selectall?

u can use the "command" key to do those. Example "command +a" is select all

OP
K
Reaction score
u can use the "command" key to do those. Example "command +a" is select all

I was aware of that, I was just looking for a more comfortable way that I was used to. I guess sooner or later I'll get used to it hehe. Thanks Falcontook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.