I am having some trouble with this os9.0.4

C

CUA-Dave

Well as the topic says...I am having trouble. I need to know how to either break the owner password or update from os9.04 to os9.1. while in as a guest.

My company has lost the owner password and now I am stuck with figuring out how to do this. :mad:

This is an IMAC.

I am new to the MAC world so please make any info you provide as simple as possible :biohazard I am still trying to figure the whole MAC language out.

Any help anyone provides will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. ;)

OP
B

Badger

You can bypass multiple users by starting up from a bootable CD, such as the OS 9 install CD. Then you should be able to use the iMac and update the system. Unfortunately this will not solve the long-term missing password problem. If you want a permanent solution you will need to "clean" reinstall the system and then you can establish new user accounts. After you start up from the installer CD select the clean install option then continue; once the new system is installed you can update it and then configure it. Be aware that you will lose established preferences and program registrations, and 3rd party extensions, control panels etc will not be transfered to the new system. Be sure you have installer programs and serial numbers handy. A clean install recreates the factory-installed system and disables the active one on the hard disk. If you don't need anything on the iMac's disk you can reformat the disk from the installer CD. Once the new system is installed and updated you can reinstall the programs you need.

OP
C

CUA-Dave

Badger said:
You can bypass multiple users by starting up from a bootable CD, such as the OS 9 install CD. Then you should be able to use the iMac and update the system. Unfortunately this will not solve the long-term missing password problem. If you want a permanent solution you will need to "clean" reinstall the system and then you can establish new user accounts. After you start up from the installer CD select the clean install option then continue; once the new system is installed you can update it and then configure it. Be aware that you will lose established preferences and program registrations, and 3rd party extensions, control panels etc will not be transfered to the new system. Be sure you have installer programs and serial numbers handy. A clean install recreates the factory-installed system and disables the active one on the hard disk. If you don't need anything on the iMac's disk you can reformat the disk from the installer CD. Once the new system is installed and updated you can reinstall the programs you need.
1 million thanks. ;)

I have figured this out as I have been tinkering with it since I posted up this thread.....I have got it up to 9.1 and I did a firmware update. I am no attempting to install os10. But I can't get it to boot up to cd. I tryed pressing the c key at boot up and I also tryed the "option" key at boot up. The option key does show the os10 cd but will not allow me to boot to it. I have nothing of value on this hard drive. Is there a way to wipe the Hard drice clean and install the os10 from scratch? I was reading the directions and they talk about using a set up assistant???? What is that?, Where do I get one if I need one? and How does it work?

Sorry for being so dumb but like I said >>>I am new to the MAC world. Please forgive me ;)

OP
C

CUA-Dave

:cool: Well Thanks for the info!!!! I have got this thing going and now I will enjoy my new found friend the MAC. I do appreciate the help. Thanks agian!!! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.