• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning .mov to dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have some video to burn to dvd. its in .mov format. Ive never tried before, I tried using toast right now. under video tab, I selected dvd, it says not enough free space on dvd, then I tried svcd, it says cd rom xa or audio tracks cant be burned,
this movie does contain audio, so what can I do? I also tried imovie, no luck.
short of converting it to mpeg in qt pro which will take a long time, what are my options? the file is currently 1.37 gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You should be able to load the video directly into iDVD. There is a hack that allows you to save the iDVD project as a disc image which you can burn in toast

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have idvd at current. any other ideas? how about dvd studio pro 3? that I have.

V

vtupser

If you use DVDSP it will convert your .mov files into mpeg2's for you. You can set it to do it right there or have it do it in the background while you are making menus/setting up the disk. The downfall is that it will take the same amount of time as if you were to use Compressor. I dont know of any quick way around to converting the file for DVD use. You might just have to use Compressor and not touch your computer for a day or two or three (I think its 60:1 compression ratio depending on computer).

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its been about 10 minutes, its a quarter of the way done. Im totally new to DVDSP3, can you give me any advice/tips? also, do you HAVE to make a menu to burn a movie? Im totally confused on the menus, so I made a real simple one, hopefully I did it right.

V

vtupser

There are two different types of menus, motion and layered. Motion menus give the cool effect of some sort of animation playing in the background that you see on commercial DVDs, but give very few options for roll-overs. Layered uses a photoshop file with layers that have rollover states sort of like what you can create in imageReady. You dont have to create a menu if you set the "On First Play" option found in the Disk setup properties to play the first track, but if you like to have a menu, then set that option to go to that specific menu.

Menus can be a pain sometimes to get right. The good thing about DVDSP is that if you make a layered menu it will fit the pixel aspect ration for a TV for you instead of you having to do it in Photoshop.

Im sure there are plenty of tutourials out on the web to find out how to make the menus instead of having me filling up this post, but if you need more help let me know and I can fill you in.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dvdsppro3 is no longer an option, it took about 30 minutes to get to 30% complete, after that, in 6 hours, it got another 6% complete, thats too long. now im using ffmpegx to convert, shoulda thought of it before, its definitely faster and simpler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There is a hack that allows you to save the iDVD project as a disc image which you can burn in toast

It is a supported feature in the iDVD menu. Not a hack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Is the video very long. Perhaps Toast is pre-calculating the what it thinks the end converted size will be?

A single sided disc obviously holds less than double sided disc.

On my version of Toast, 8, there are two DVD options to choose from; DVD-Video, Video_TS Folder. I would try the TS folder option and select the "Fit-to-DVD video compression" option. You can burn that later to a disc. You can choose "Automatic" when choosing the "DVD-Video" option.

There is no short cut to creating the required MPEG2 files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.